Coast Guardsmen from Kodiak participated in an emergency towing system drill in Dutch Harbor yesterday. The crew from the cutter Alex Haley and an Air Station Kodiak Dolphin helicopter crew assisted the city of Unalaska with the maritime emergency practice.
During the drill, the helicopter crew delivered the city’s emergency towing gear to a vessel which was then towed by the Alex Haley. The participating distressed vessel was then met by local tugs which took the vessel to an emergency buoy.
Alex Haley Commanding Officer Stephen White said drills such as yesterdays were important to gain familiarity with the emergency towing system equipment. Personnel with the Dutch Harbor Marine Safety Detachment also participated, as did Harley Marine, Dunlap Towing and the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
The Alex Haley is a 282-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in Kodiak.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Japanese Elections Strengthen Abe, Reward His Gamble
- Mainland Colleges Offer In-State Tuition To Students Affected By Hurricane Maria
- Blending Techno And Tradition: You Should Be Dancing ... With Sake
- Democrats Eye A Rare Opportunity In Alabama Senate Race
- The Russia Investigations: Interference Impacted Real Life; Senators Propose New Law
- Nuneaton: Police end leisure park siege, boss says
- Nuneaton: 'The guy ran up to the door with a gun' - witness
- Borrow more to boost building, says Sajid Javid
- WHO cancels Robert Mugabe goodwill ambassador role
- Spain Catalonia: Foreign minister denies 'coup' by Madrid
- Lewis Hamilton on verge of Formula 1 title with United States GP win
- Night Music: October 21, 2017
- Investigation shows BP Alaska reckoning with multiple accidents and leaks
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Oct. 20, 2017
- State Attorney General says all 229 Alaska tribes are sovereign
- State appeals controversial ballot initiative decision to Supreme Court
- AK: Volunteers work to rebuild damaged landscapes on Flattop Mountain
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages