Coast Guardsmen from Kodiak participated in an emergency towing system drill in Dutch Harbor yesterday. The crew from the cutter Alex Haley and an Air Station Kodiak Dolphin helicopter crew assisted the city of Unalaska with the maritime emergency practice.
During the drill, the helicopter crew delivered the city’s emergency towing gear to a vessel which was then towed by the Alex Haley. The participating distressed vessel was then met by local tugs which took the vessel to an emergency buoy.
Alex Haley Commanding Officer Stephen White said drills such as yesterdays were important to gain familiarity with the emergency towing system equipment. Personnel with the Dutch Harbor Marine Safety Detachment also participated, as did Harley Marine, Dunlap Towing and the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation.
The Alex Haley is a 282-foot medium endurance cutter homeported in Kodiak.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Cassini Spacecraft Re-Establishes Contact After 'Dive' Between Saturn And Its Rings
- Trump Tells Canada And Mexico He Will Renegotiate, Not Withdraw From NAFTA
- Easing Shutdown Worries, Trump Relents On Another Major Hurdle
- Venezuela To Leave OAS, Death Toll Climbs After Dueling Rallies
- Trump's Tweets On Court Blocking 'Sanctuary City' Order: 5 Facts To Know
- Johnson: Difficult to say 'no' to Syria strike
- North Korea faces tighter sanctions under Trump strategy
- Syria conflict: 'Huge explosion' rocks Damascus airport
- Trump won't scrap Nafta trade deal 'at this time'
- Couple die holding hands after 69 years of marriage
- British Veterinary Association slams designer cat breeding
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Wrangell’s Happy Cannabis given go-ahead, but its doors will remain closed
- With loss of leader, Alaska Commons faces uncertain future
- Anchorage police determine one man responsible for 5 killings last summer
- Mariculture poised to come of age in Alaska
- State’s biggest military training exercise takes off next week
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages