The Kodiak Safeway store was closed for several hours Sunday due to a fire in the bakery. Store Manager Mike Murray said in a post to Friends of Kodiak that the fire was limited to the smoke stack of one of the store’s two baking ovens.
The Kodiak Fire Department responded and evacuated the store while police kept cars away. Murray said closing the store at the time was the right thing to do for everyone’s safety.
He said the firefighters inspected the kitchen from the oven to the roof and found no damage outside the smokestack.
Murray said the store was back to normal by early evening.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Federal Appeals Court Says Arkansas Can Block Medicaid Payments To Planned Parenthood
- Probiotic Bacteria Could Protect Newborns From Deadly Infection
- With Heavy Drinking On The Rise, How Much Is Too Much?
- Trump Rolls Back Obama-Era Flood Standards For Infrastructure Projects
- The Best Item In An Astronaut's Care Package? Definitely The Ice Cream
- Teenagers to find out A-level results
- Migrant crisis: Spain rescues 600 people in busiest day
- Fracking: Shale rock professor says UK gas reserves 'hyped'
- Tom Cruise injury halts Mission: Impossible 6 filming
- Engine issue grounds Battle of Britain Memorial Flight planes
- Business councils disband over Trump remarks
- Mat-Su Assembly puts off plastic bag tax vote
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017
- Haines Assembly members survive divisive recall election
- Imprisoned former militia leader Schaeffer Cox has appeal hearing
- Clark’s Point drawing families back to the village by reopening its school
- Dimond High Presidential Scholar travels to D.C. to receive award
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages