Sportfishing for king salmon in the Monashka Creek and the waters of Monashka Bay outside the creek mouth closed on Saturday because there has so far been no fish returning to the system.
According to Fish and Game’s Donn Tracy, the return to Monashka Creek is vital for the hatchery-reared king salmon enhancement project.
The department usually collects 50 female and 50 male king salmon from the creek to be used in the project. Traditionally, at least half the needed broodstock has arrived by June 25th, but so far, Tracy says none have returned:
If the run doesn’t pick up, Tracy says the department will go to one of the other road-system rivers – either the Olds or American – the hatchery project supports to try and collect the needed broodstock:
Failing that, the department’s back up to plan B is to capture, rear and release coho salmon in lieu of kings for one year.
The closure that went into effect over the weekend prohibits all sport fishing for king salmon, including catch-and-release in the Monashka Creek drainage and the waters of Monashka Bay inside a line extending from Miller Point to Termination Point. Sportfishing for other species in the closed area is allowed, but only one unbaited, single hook artificial lure may be used.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- California Wildfires Leave Seasonal Agricultural Workers In Limbo
- Holes In The Plot: Suspect Loses Bet With Cops, Turns Himself In — With Doughnuts
- Trump Says Administration's Response To Hurricane In Puerto Rico 'A 10'
- Meet Jacinda Ardern, 37, New Zealand's Next Prime Minister
- What's The Section 99 Tax Deduction?
- Red Salmon Cannery dinged for Clean Air Act violation
- King Cove and feds exploring options to build road without Congressional approval
- How to end homelessness in Anchorage, together
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017
- Federal, state and Anchorage officials roll out “Alaska Anti-Violent Crime Strategy”
- All seven resolutions passed on final day of Elders and Youth conference
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages