Folks who enjoy salmon-themed literature will be pleased to know they’ll have an opportunity to score a free book this fall. Erin Harrington is the executive director of the Salmon Project, which is the organization hosting a statewide book drop. The “drop” she says, will involve distributing almost 1,200 books to roughly half a dozen communities around the state.
The book being distributed is King of Fish – the 1,000 year run of salmon.
“Which is by David Montgomery, who is a geomorphologist down at the University of Washington, and wrote this book a little over a decade ago about salmon and the interactions between salmon and people across ranges in Europe, North America, on both the east and west coasts of the United States and Canada and then up around the corner, just barely touching on B.C. and Alaska. So it’s a really fascinating book that looks at more than 1,000 years of the way people have interacted with this fish and relied on it. And then it looks at some of the lessons that can come out of those other geographies which have largely lost their salmon.”
Harrington said the book drop idea was modeled after the popular Big Reads, which promote community literacy and conversation by distributing different texts for free. Continue reading
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- A U.S. Delegation Is In Talks With North Korea, According To The State Department
- Bikers From Across America Ride To Remember Soldiers 'Unaccounted For'
- USS Arizona Memorial At Pearl Harbor Closes Indefinitely Due To Structural Concerns
- Subtropical Storm Alberto 'Is Gaining Some Tropical Characteristics'
- Parenting Advice From Uncle Sam
- Arlene Foster: Irish abortion vote has no impact on NI law
- Italy PM-designate Conte gives up bid for government
- WH Smith voted UK's worst High Street shop in Which? survey
- World Cup 2018: Being black in Russia
- Mamoudou Gassama: Mali 'spiderman' wows France with Paris child rescue
- Biggest Weekend: Taylor Swift plays the hits then runs in Swansea
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages