Responding to direction from the Board of Fisheries, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has moved forward with a new pollock test fishery in Kodiak waters, using seine gear.
At January’s Fish Board meeting here in Kodiak, board members and fishermen expressed interest in a walleye pollock test fishery with seine gear. In an announcement last week, the Kodiak Area Office of Fish and Game announced the test fishery will be conducted prior to June 9th. Given that time frame, interested fishermen need to register with the department by 5 p.m. Friday.
Starting next Monday, the Department will start contacting registered vessel operators to coordinate the test fishing activities.
The announcement adds that operators must obtain a Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission miscellaneous finfish permit card for purse seine gear. Contact the groundfish management biologists at Fish and Game in Kodiak for more information.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Japanese Elections Strengthen Abe, Reward His Gamble
- Mainland Colleges Offer In-State Tuition To Students Affected By Hurricane Maria
- Blending Techno And Tradition: You Should Be Dancing ... With Sake
- Democrats Eye A Rare Opportunity In Alabama Senate Race
- The Russia Investigations: Interference Impacted Real Life; Senators Propose New Law
- Nuneaton: Police end leisure park siege, boss says
- Nuneaton: 'The guy ran up to the door with a gun' - witness
- Borrow more to boost building, says Sajid Javid
- WHO cancels Robert Mugabe goodwill ambassador role
- Spain Catalonia: Foreign minister denies 'coup' by Madrid
- Lewis Hamilton on verge of Formula 1 title with United States GP win
- Night Music: October 21, 2017
- Investigation shows BP Alaska reckoning with multiple accidents and leaks
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Oct. 20, 2017
- State Attorney General says all 229 Alaska tribes are sovereign
- State appeals controversial ballot initiative decision to Supreme Court
- AK: Volunteers work to rebuild damaged landscapes on Flattop Mountain
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages