Responding to direction from the Board of Fisheries, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has moved forward with a new pollock test fishery in Kodiak waters, using seine gear.
At January’s Fish Board meeting here in Kodiak, board members and fishermen expressed interest in a walleye pollock test fishery with seine gear. In an announcement last week, the Kodiak Area Office of Fish and Game announced the test fishery will be conducted prior to June 9th. Given that time frame, interested fishermen need to register with the department by 5 p.m. Friday.
Starting next Monday, the Department will start contacting registered vessel operators to coordinate the test fishing activities.
The announcement adds that operators must obtain a Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission miscellaneous finfish permit card for purse seine gear. Contact the groundfish management biologists at Fish and Game in Kodiak for more information.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Cassini Spacecraft Re-Establishes Contact After 'Dive' Between Saturn And Its Rings
- Trump Tells Canada And Mexico He Will Renegotiate, Not Withdraw From NAFTA
- Easing Shutdown Worries, Trump Relents On Another Major Hurdle
- Venezuela To Leave OAS, Death Toll Climbs After Dueling Rallies
- Trump's Tweets On Court Blocking 'Sanctuary City' Order: 5 Facts To Know
- Johnson: Difficult to say 'no' to Syria strike
- North Korea faces tighter sanctions under Trump strategy
- Syria conflict: 'Huge explosion' rocks Damascus airport
- Trump won't scrap Nafta trade deal 'at this time'
- Couple die holding hands after 69 years of marriage
- British Veterinary Association slams designer cat breeding
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, April 26, 2017
- Wrangell’s Happy Cannabis given go-ahead, but its doors will remain closed
- With loss of leader, Alaska Commons faces uncertain future
- Anchorage police determine one man responsible for 5 killings last summer
- Mariculture poised to come of age in Alaska
- State’s biggest military training exercise takes off next week
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages