Responding to direction from the Board of Fisheries, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has moved forward with a new pollock test fishery in Kodiak waters, using seine gear.
At January’s Fish Board meeting here in Kodiak, board members and fishermen expressed interest in a walleye pollock test fishery with seine gear. In an announcement last week, the Kodiak Area Office of Fish and Game announced the test fishery will be conducted prior to June 9th. Given that time frame, interested fishermen need to register with the department by 5 p.m. Friday.
Starting next Monday, the Department will start contacting registered vessel operators to coordinate the test fishing activities.
The announcement adds that operators must obtain a Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission miscellaneous finfish permit card for purse seine gear. Contact the groundfish management biologists at Fish and Game in Kodiak for more information.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- GOP Senate Bill Would Cut Health Care Coverage By 22 Million
- Same-Sex Marriage Support At All-Time High, Even Among Groups That Opposed It
- Facial Recognition May Boost Airport Security But Raises Privacy Worries
- 'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli Goes On Trial For Securities Fraud
- After Decline Of Steel And Coal, Ohio Fears Health Care Jobs Are Next
- Conservatives agree pact with DUP to support May government
- Grenfell Tower: Cladding firm ends global sales for tower blocks
- Trump travel ban injunction partly lifted by top US court
- Theresa May sets out post-Brexit offer on EU citizens
- Painter Salvador Dali's body to be exhumed for paternity suit
- What happens when you're sleep deprived?
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages