Responding to direction from the Board of Fisheries, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has moved forward with a new pollock test fishery in Kodiak waters, using seine gear.
At January’s Fish Board meeting here in Kodiak, board members and fishermen expressed interest in a walleye pollock test fishery with seine gear. In an announcement last week, the Kodiak Area Office of Fish and Game announced the test fishery will be conducted prior to June 9th. Given that time frame, interested fishermen need to register with the department by 5 p.m. Friday.
Starting next Monday, the Department will start contacting registered vessel operators to coordinate the test fishing activities.
The announcement adds that operators must obtain a Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission miscellaneous finfish permit card for purse seine gear. Contact the groundfish management biologists at Fish and Game in Kodiak for more information.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Former Wisconsin Officer, Acquitted In Fatal Shooting, Takes Sexual Assault Plea Deal
- USA Gymnastics Says They Will No Longer Use The Karolyi Ranch Training Center
- Scientists Peek Inside The 'Black Box' Of Soil Microbes To Learn Their Secrets
- Cryptocurrency Investors Worry, Wait After Bitcoin Price Drop
- 'This Is Depraved Conduct': Couple Charged With Torture After Kids Found Shackled
- Calais migrants: UK and France sign new treaty
- Turpin case: California couple deny torturing 'shackled siblings'
- Cancer blood test ‘enormously exciting’
- UK 'in grip of worst flu season since 2011'
- Cheers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Cardiff Castle
- Adolescence now lasts from 10 to 24, scientists say
- Mat-Su Borough Assembly rejects agreement with state on air quality
- Among 100-plus proposals, Sitka’s sac roe herring fishery a top issue
- Top Republican, Democrat in Alaska Senate differ on income tax
- State-ordered investigation following BP leak finds no additional problem wells
- Calls for service plummet amid new strategy at Anchorage shelter
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages