A Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew located and rescued two overdue boaters in the vicinity of Harriet Point, near Kenai, yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.
A family member reported the boaters overdue Sunday to Coast Guard Sector Anchorage command center. The men had left Kenai in a 16-foot skiff Wednesday for a voyage to Drift River on the western shore of Cook Inlet, and and were scheduled to return to Kenai River on Friday.
The aircrew located the men in good condition and transported them aboard the helicopter to awaiting family members in Kenai.
Within about an hour of searching the path of the boaters, the Jayhawk crew spotted the skiff inland of Harriet Point, on the west side of Cook Inlet. The boaters had run out of gas and beached their vessel.
Lieutenant J-G Laura Gadziala, said the boaters did the right thing and stayed with their vessel once it ran out of gas. She said that it’s a lot easier to find a boat than an individual person.
Weather on scene was reported as 9 mph winds and 3-foot seas.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Former Wisconsin Officer, Acquitted In Fatal Shooting, Takes Sexual Assault Plea Deal
- USA Gymnastics Says They Will No Longer Use The Karolyi Ranch Training Center
- Scientists Peek Inside The 'Black Box' Of Soil Microbes To Learn Their Secrets
- Cryptocurrency Investors Worry, Wait After Bitcoin Price Drop
- 'This Is Depraved Conduct': Couple Charged With Torture After Kids Found Shackled
- Calais migrants: UK and France sign new treaty
- Turpin case: California couple deny torturing 'shackled siblings'
- Cancer blood test ‘enormously exciting’
- UK 'in grip of worst flu season since 2011'
- Cheers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Cardiff Castle
- Adolescence now lasts from 10 to 24, scientists say
- Mat-Su Borough Assembly rejects agreement with state on air quality
- Among 100-plus proposals, Sitka’s sac roe herring fishery a top issue
- Top Republican, Democrat in Alaska Senate differ on income tax
- State-ordered investigation following BP leak finds no additional problem wells
- Calls for service plummet amid new strategy at Anchorage shelter
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages