A Coast Guard Air Station Kodiak MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew located and rescued two overdue boaters in the vicinity of Harriet Point, near Kenai, yesterday (Sunday) afternoon.
A family member reported the boaters overdue Sunday to Coast Guard Sector Anchorage command center. The men had left Kenai in a 16-foot skiff Wednesday for a voyage to Drift River on the western shore of Cook Inlet, and and were scheduled to return to Kenai River on Friday.
The aircrew located the men in good condition and transported them aboard the helicopter to awaiting family members in Kenai.
Within about an hour of searching the path of the boaters, the Jayhawk crew spotted the skiff inland of Harriet Point, on the west side of Cook Inlet. The boaters had run out of gas and beached their vessel.
Lieutenant J-G Laura Gadziala, said the boaters did the right thing and stayed with their vessel once it ran out of gas. She said that it’s a lot easier to find a boat than an individual person.
Weather on scene was reported as 9 mph winds and 3-foot seas.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Japanese Elections Strengthen Abe, Reward His Gamble
- Mainland Colleges Offer In-State Tuition To Students Affected By Hurricane Maria
- Blending Techno And Tradition: You Should Be Dancing ... With Sake
- Democrats Eye A Rare Opportunity In Alabama Senate Race
- The Russia Investigations: Interference Impacted Real Life; Senators Propose New Law
- Nuneaton: Police end leisure park siege, boss says
- Nuneaton: 'The guy ran up to the door with a gun' - witness
- Borrow more to boost building, says Sajid Javid
- WHO cancels Robert Mugabe goodwill ambassador role
- Spain Catalonia: Foreign minister denies 'coup' by Madrid
- Lewis Hamilton on verge of Formula 1 title with United States GP win
- Night Music: October 21, 2017
- Investigation shows BP Alaska reckoning with multiple accidents and leaks
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Oct. 20, 2017
- State Attorney General says all 229 Alaska tribes are sovereign
- State appeals controversial ballot initiative decision to Supreme Court
- AK: Volunteers work to rebuild damaged landscapes on Flattop Mountain
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages