Alaska Public Media and Alaska Dispatch News are suing Governor Sean Parnell over access to documents related to the National Guard sex scandal. APRN’s Alexandra Gutierrez submitted her request in May. Both organizations were denied the records by Parnell’s office in late September.
The complaint says that Parnell’s office is not complying with the Public Records Act. The office also failed to provide a log of records related to the scandal and the reasons why they weren’t provided.
Attorney John McKay filed the suit on Wednesday on behalf of both organizations. He says they’re asking the court to expedite the process because it’s important for voters to have access to the facts about Parnell’s actions before the gubernatorial election next month.
“They’ve offered explanations for what he did or didn’t do,” McKay said. “Voters may find that reasonable or they may not. But we need to have facts so people can decide if he acted appropriately or is being criticized unfairly.”
It’s up to the court to decide when to respond to the complaint.
A federal government investigation of the scandal has revealed incidents of sexual assault, sexual harassment, misuse of government funds, and ethical misconduct in the Alaska National Guard.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Turkey Arrests More Than 1,000 In Massive Purge Of Its Police Forces
- Boston Champ Juggles Marathons, 5 Kids, Kenyan Farm
- FCC Chief Begins Rollback Of Net Neutrality Regulations
- The High Price Of Fake Authenticity: $425 'Muddy' Jeans Inspire Mockery
- Trump Administration Proposes 'Massive' Tax Overhaul And Tax Cut Plan
- North Korea tensions: US ready to 'bring Kim Jong-un to his senses'
- 'Exciting' blood test spots cancer a year early
- PMQs: May and Corbyn set out election 'choices'
- Arrests as Newcastle and West Ham raided in £5m tax probe
- Maria Sharapova: Russian beats Roberta Vinca on return from doping ban
- White Bengal tiger cub quadruplets at Austria zoo
- In public testimony, most support state income tax bill
- Two dead squid in two weeks: Coincidence?
- Ask a Climatologist: Alaska’s lucky winter
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Senate majority not pleased with prospect of income tax as public testimony begins
- Bill requiring nonresident caribou hunters to have guides meets opposition
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages