Alaska Public Media and Alaska Dispatch News are suing Governor Sean Parnell over access to documents related to the National Guard sex scandal. APRN’s Alexandra Gutierrez submitted her request in May. Both organizations were denied the records by Parnell’s office in late September.
The complaint says that Parnell’s office is not complying with the Public Records Act. The office also failed to provide a log of records related to the scandal and the reasons why they weren’t provided.
Attorney John McKay filed the suit on Wednesday on behalf of both organizations. He says they’re asking the court to expedite the process because it’s important for voters to have access to the facts about Parnell’s actions before the gubernatorial election next month.
“They’ve offered explanations for what he did or didn’t do,” McKay said. “Voters may find that reasonable or they may not. But we need to have facts so people can decide if he acted appropriately or is being criticized unfairly.”
It’s up to the court to decide when to respond to the complaint.
A federal government investigation of the scandal has revealed incidents of sexual assault, sexual harassment, misuse of government funds, and ethical misconduct in the Alaska National Guard.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Russian Bobsledder Disqualified For Doping, Court Says
- Czech Republic's Ester Ledecka Makes History With Golds In Snowboarding And Skiing
- U.S. Men's Curling Team Wins Gold, Beating Sweden 10-7 At Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
- Trump Administration Restricts H-1B Worker Visas Coveted By High Tech
- Logs Of 911 Calls Reveal The Troubled History Of Florida School Shooter
- Florida shooting: Firms abandon NRA amid consumer boycott
- Winter Olympics: Billy Morgan wins Great Britain's record fifth medal in Pyeongchang
- Two charged over Coventry brothers 'hit-and-run' deaths
- Red Cross reveals 21 staff paid for sexual services
- Euromillions results: UK ticket holder wins £78m
- 'Groped by Holy Mosque guard during Hajj' in Mecca
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Feb. 23, 2018
- Traveling Music 3-4-18
- Three dead in early morning Anchorage fire
- Walker among governors prodding Congress on health care
- Murkowski sends letter questioning oil companies about drop in Alaska hire
- Scientists discover mysterious uranium particle above Aleutian Islands
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages