The Coast Guard medevac’d an injured fisherman from near the Islands of the Four Mountains in the central Aleutians yesterday.
The 27-year-old man was aboard the fishing vessel Patricia Lee at the time. The boat was near Chuginadak Island, home of Cleveland Volcano, when the man hurt his foot and needed medical attention.
Coast Guard public affairs officer Diana Honings says the cutter Alex Haley was nearby, with an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aboard.
“The Alex Haley was on a patrol through the Bering Sea,” she said, “and they happened to be in the neighborhood when the man needed a medevac.”
The Alex Haley sent its helicopter to hoist the injured fisherman from the 116-foot vessel Patricia Lee. The man was flown to Unalaska for emergency treatment. Weather conditions were reportedly calm at the time.
It’s the first Coast Guard medevac in several months from near Unalaska. But Honings says this summer has been busy for rescues elsewhere in the state.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- South Korea Tests Missile As President Speaks Of Need To 'Dominate' North
- Bill Cosby Is Planning Town Halls About Sexual Assault And The Law, Spokesman Says
- Efforts Increase To Bring Health And Other Benefits To Independent Workers
- Could The Best Memory System Be One That Forgets?
- Neighboring Arab Nations Slap Qatar With 13-Point List Of Demands
- Grenfell Tower: Fire started in Hotpoint fridge-freezer, say police
- Brexit: EU leaders says UK offer could 'worsen situation'
- Dan Evans: Great Britain Davis Cup player fails drugs test
- Exeter academy skirt boys win right to wear shorts
- Sally Hodkin murder: Failings led to killing by Nicola Edgington
- Actor surprises Glastonbury fans
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, June 22, 2017
- Legislature passes budget compromise to avert shutdown
- ‘Sense of relief’ as cuts to UA system are less than expected
- Murkowski’s take on health bill? Stay tuned
- Man charged in 2015 Wasilla double murder
- Walker signs bill granting health insurance to dependents of fallen police, firefighters
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages