The Coast Guard medevac’d an injured fisherman from near the Islands of the Four Mountains in the central Aleutians yesterday.
The 27-year-old man was aboard the fishing vessel Patricia Lee at the time. The boat was near Chuginadak Island, home of Cleveland Volcano, when the man hurt his foot and needed medical attention.
Coast Guard public affairs officer Diana Honings says the cutter Alex Haley was nearby, with an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aboard.
“The Alex Haley was on a patrol through the Bering Sea,” she said, “and they happened to be in the neighborhood when the man needed a medevac.”
The Alex Haley sent its helicopter to hoist the injured fisherman from the 116-foot vessel Patricia Lee. The man was flown to Unalaska for emergency treatment. Weather conditions were reportedly calm at the time.
It’s the first Coast Guard medevac in several months from near Unalaska. But Honings says this summer has been busy for rescues elsewhere in the state.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Keystone XL Pipeline Gets Regulators' OK In Nebraska, Clearing Key Hurdle
- Trump To Designate North Korea As A State Sponsor Of Terrorism
- Spit Test May Help Reveal Concussion Severity
- WATCH: On Georgia Dome's Final Day, Atlanta Bids Farewell With A Bam
- Top Stories: Charles Manson Dies; Kenya's Supreme Court Upholds Election
- Zimbabwe latest: Mugabe 'let wife Grace usurp power'
- Merkel 'prefers new vote' after German coalition talks fail
- Brexit: Electoral Commission reopens probe into Vote Leave
- Jana Novotna: Former Wimbledon champion dies at age of 49
- Why do so many US women die giving birth?
- Florida plane highway crash caught on dashcams
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages