It was a busy weekend for Air Station Kodiak helicopter rescue crews. On Friday they were called upon to transport a woman from Saltry Cove who was injured in an accident, and on Sunday, they brought an ailing fisherman into town from near Village Islands.
Midday Friday the Coast Guard received a call from the Kodiak Police Department reporting a 50-year-old woman had been injured in an ATV accident at Saltry and needed a helicopter medevac. According to Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Monk the Coast Guard agreed a helicopter flight would be the safest and most effective way to transport the woman back to town. The unidentified woman was turned over to EMTs in Kodiak. Her current condition was not reported.
On Sunday, a 69-year-old man from the fishing vessel Sierra Seas was suffering from acute stomach pains and needed assistance. The Jayhawk crew landed on a beach near Village Islands where they met the man and his wife were picked up for transport. The man’s stomach pain was reportedly from a pre-existing medical condition. He was transferred to local EMS, and like the earlier rescue, his identity was not reported by the Coast Guard and his current condition is unknown.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Still 'Pretty Damn Mad' Protesters Unite In Second Annual Women's March
- Paul Bocuse, 'Giant' Of French Cuisine, Dies At 91
- Animal Trafficking 'Kingpin' Arrested in Thailand
- With A Show Of Hands, Filipino-American Chefs Rekindle Kamayan Feasts
- Crime Is Down In American Cities, And 'Uneasy Peace' Explains Why
- Kabul: Gunmen attack Intercontinental Hotel
- US shutdown: Trump and Democrats blame each other
- Syria: Turkey war planes launch strikes on Afrin
- 'Ice Maiden' team celebrates ski record
- Profoundly deaf Maisie Sly is the star of a short film which may be nominated for an Oscar
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- What’s open, what’s closed if the government shuts down
- Governor follows up on State of the State speech
- AK: What’s it like to drive a 54,000 pound DOT plow truck?
- Ready to mush: Kusko 300 ready to kick off
- Interior aims to sign King Cove road deal Monday, official confirms
- Diverse backgrounds among three on list for vacant state Senate seat
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages