Election season is here and tomorrow the filing period for a number of elected borough and city positions will open up. Two three-year city council seats are up for grabs this year. The terms for Councilmen Randy Bishop and Terry Haines are set to expire and nominations petitions to fill those spots are available from now until August 15. Three three-year borough assembly seats are also opening up this fall. The terms of Assemblymen Mel Stephens, Tuck Bonney and Dave Kaplan will expire and the filing period for those positions also opens on Friday.
There will be two seats open on the Kodiak Island Board of Education, both for three year terms and a variety of service area board positions also opening up. One seat is up for grabs on the Bay View Road Service Area Board, two seats on the Fire Protection Area No. 1 Board, one seat on the Monashka Bay Road Service area board, and three seats for both the Service Area No. 1 and Womens Bay Service Area Boards.
Filing petitions can be picked up at both the borough and city clerks’ offices and must be turned in no later than 4:30 p.m. on August 15.
Folks filing for candidacy on borough boards or the assembly must be borough residents and have lived in the borough for at least a year. Those seeking a city council seat must be a registered city voter, have lived in the city for a full year, currently reside there and must be 21 years of age or older.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Keystone XL Pipeline Gets Regulators' OK In Nebraska, Clearing Key Hurdle
- Trump To Designate North Korea As A State Sponsor Of Terrorism
- Spit Test May Help Reveal Concussion Severity
- WATCH: On Georgia Dome's Final Day, Atlanta Bids Farewell With A Bam
- Top Stories: Charles Manson Dies; Kenya's Supreme Court Upholds Election
- Zimbabwe latest: Mugabe 'let wife Grace usurp power'
- Merkel 'prefers new vote' after German coalition talks fail
- Brexit: Electoral Commission reopens probe into Vote Leave
- Jana Novotna: Former Wimbledon champion dies at age of 49
- Why do so many US women die giving birth?
- Florida plane highway crash caught on dashcams
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages