At last night’s Kodiak Island Borough School District Board of Education meeting, a contract was approved for a new principal for North Star Elementary School. The board unanimously approved a contract with Patricia Wilson of Virginia for just over $100,000 for the next year.
The district’s Marilyn Davidson explained part of the process used to select Wilson for the position.
“The North Star staff selected three people to be a part of this panel. And then the other three elementary principals joined me for the panel. When we interview we use the same set of questions for all interviews. So if it was the first interviews we did or the last interview we did, we used the same set of questions for every candidate.”
She said a great number of applications were received for the position, and four or five were selected for interviews with the panel.
“They were looking for experience with young children. They were looking for experience with elementary curriculum and instruction. They were looking for experience and background with special education. They were looking for experience with diverse populations, and Patricia Wilson was the candidate who came to us with all those qualifications.”
Earlier in the meeting, Jeff Stewart was appointed as a temporary school board member, replacing Todd Hailey, who has left town. Stewart will serve until the October municipal elections when the seat will be up for grabs for a three-year term.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- What Gave Some Primates Bigger Brains? A Fruit-Filled Diet
- Raiders Set To Split For Las Vegas, Leaving Oakland ... In A Year Or Two
- D.C.'s Missing Teens: A False Number That Spurred A Real Conversation On Race
- AP Calculates North Carolina's 'Bathroom Bill' Will Cost More Than $3.7 Billion
- Attorney General Orders Crackdown On 'Sanctuary Cities,' Threatens Holding Funds
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, March 27, 2017
- Sitka Sound roe herring fishery opens
- Sitka starts celebration for Alaska’s 150th anniversary with the U.S.
- Top athletes compete in Haines for Freeride World Tour
- Birch Hill cross country ski races to kick off in Fairbanks
- Young gives Trump a hand at bill signing
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages