An Air Station Kodiak helicopter crew was dispatched Saturday morning to medevac an injured crewman from a Horizon Lines cargo ship in the Gulf of Alaska. According to the Coast Guard, the 39-year-old man – who they did not identify – suffered from a chemical exposure and needed urgent medical attention.
The cargo vessel “Horizon Kodiak” was about 200 miles from its namesake island when the call for help was made. By the time the MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter arrived, the Horizon Kodiak had changed course and they rendezvoused about 160 miles offshore.
The Coast Guard also deployed an HC-130 Hercules aircraft as a precaution for the long-distance medevac. The helicopter crew transferred the injured man to Kodiak where emergency medical personal were waiting. His condition was not reported, but in video from the helicopter, the man was on his feet when meeting the hoist basket on the stern of the Horizon Kodiak.
Weather on scene was reported as 23 mph winds and six-foot seas.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Brexit: Theresa May 'to offer 20bn euros transitional deal'
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages