An Air Station Kodiak helicopter crew was dispatched Saturday morning to medevac an injured crewman from a Horizon Lines cargo ship in the Gulf of Alaska. According to the Coast Guard, the 39-year-old man – who they did not identify – suffered from a chemical exposure and needed urgent medical attention.
The cargo vessel “Horizon Kodiak” was about 200 miles from its namesake island when the call for help was made. By the time the MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter arrived, the Horizon Kodiak had changed course and they rendezvoused about 160 miles offshore.
The Coast Guard also deployed an HC-130 Hercules aircraft as a precaution for the long-distance medevac. The helicopter crew transferred the injured man to Kodiak where emergency medical personal were waiting. His condition was not reported, but in video from the helicopter, the man was on his feet when meeting the hoist basket on the stern of the Horizon Kodiak.
Weather on scene was reported as 23 mph winds and six-foot seas.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Russia-Based Kaspersky Lab Sues Trump Administration For Banning Its Software
- U.N. Human Rights Chief: Aung San Suu Kyi Could Be Culpable For Genocide
- Cities With Uber Have Lower Rates Of Ambulance Usage
- Could A Zap To The Brain Derail Destructive Impulses?
- 'Panic And Confusion' As Pakistan Orders Foreign Aid Groups To Shut Down
- Amtrak Washington train crash: Deaths as carriages fall on US motorway
- Amtrak Washington train crash: Aerial footage of the scene
- RAF Mildenhall: Shots fired in security alert at US Suffolk airbase
- Trump: Russia and China ‘rival powers’ in new security plan
- Liverpool jail: The worst conditions ever seen, says report
- Cyril Ramaphosa is elected ANC leader
- Pebble names First Quantum Minerals as new partner
- Algo Nuevo December 17, 2017
- For third straight year, Gov. Walker proposes budget drawing from Permanent Fund earnings
- ACLU sounds alarm on non-criminal immigrant detentions in Anchorage
- Alaska marijuana regulators issue first-ever license revocation after slew of violations
- Conoco hopes to crack open off-limits North Slope land
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages