The Kodiak Safeway store was closed for several hours Sunday due to a fire in the bakery. Store Manager Mike Murray said in a post to Friends of Kodiak that the fire was limited to the smoke stack of one of the store’s two baking ovens.
The Kodiak Fire Department responded and evacuated the store while police kept cars away. Murray said closing the store at the time was the right thing to do for everyone’s safety.
He said the firefighters inspected the kitchen from the oven to the roof and found no damage outside the smokestack.
Murray said the store was back to normal by early evening.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Government Shuts Down As Congress Fails To Pass Funding Measure
- Senate Set To Vote On Government Funding Bill Before Midnight
- L.A. Coroner: Tom Petty's Death Was Due To An Accidental Overdose
- Federal Charge Brought In Assault On Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul
- Justice Department To Retry Sen. Robert Menendez And Friend In Corruption Case
- US shutdown begins as Senate fails to pass new budget
- Macron says 'special' UK deal possible
- US musician Tom Petty died of 'accidental drug overdose'
- British tourists warned to 'stay in resorts' in Jamaica security emergency
- Will Gompertz reviews Sky Atlantic's drama Britannia ★★★☆☆
- Persian shallot 'could help fight TB antibiotic resistance'
- What’s open, what’s closed if the government shuts down
- Governor follows up on State of the State speech
- AK: What’s it like to drive a 54,000 pound DOT plow truck?
- Ready to mush: Kusko 300 ready to kick off
- Interior aims to sign King Cove road deal Monday, official confirms
- Diverse backgrounds among three on list for vacant state Senate seat
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages