June is Filipino American month in Kodiak. The proclamation was made by Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend during the Borough Assembly’s regular meeting earlier this month.
“It’s my honor tonight to make the proclamation declaring Filipino American heritage month in Kodiak, where as the Kodiak island borough is made up of a wonderful mosaic of culturally diverse people in where as Filipino Americans make vital contributions to the economic, social and political and cultural qualities of life in the community, and where as June 12th 2014 marks the 116th anniversary of the declaration of Philippine independence.”
Mary Guilis-Hawver, the current president of the Filipino American Association, accepted the proclamation during the meeting.
“On behalf of my organization and the Filipino community in Kodiak, I’d like to thank you and accept this proclamation declaring June 2014 as the FilAm heritage month in Kodiak .”
The will hold its next regular meeting on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the borough assembly chambers. It will be broadcast live here on KMXT.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- What's It Really Like To Work In A Prison Goat Milk Farm? We Asked Inmates
- O.J. Simpson Granted Parole
- Newest Senate Health Care Overhaul Would Increase Uninsured By 22 Million, CBO Says
- Fear And Fury In Venezuela, As Strike Protesting 'Dictatorship' Begins
- The Insecurity Of America's Old And Underfunded Voting Systems
- OJ Simpson to be freed from Nevada prison
- Chester Bennington: Linkin Park vocalist 'took his own life'
- Brexit: UK and EU at odds over 'exit bill'
- Largest crime rise in England and Wales for 10 years
- Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe
- Andrea Leadsom slips up and calls Jane Austen 'living author'
- State, municipalities face higher borrowing costs from falling credit ratings
- Video: Oil clues hidden in stone
- Audiogram: Alaska’s great recession
- Fishermen on Yukon lose economic opportunity when buyer becomes overloaded, cancels opening
- Alaska’s U.S. senators diverge on repeal, replace
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, July 19, 2017
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages