June is Filipino American month in Kodiak. The proclamation was made by Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend during the Borough Assembly’s regular meeting earlier this month.
“It’s my honor tonight to make the proclamation declaring Filipino American heritage month in Kodiak, where as the Kodiak island borough is made up of a wonderful mosaic of culturally diverse people in where as Filipino Americans make vital contributions to the economic, social and political and cultural qualities of life in the community, and where as June 12th 2014 marks the 116th anniversary of the declaration of Philippine independence.”
Mary Guilis-Hawver, the current president of the Filipino American Association, accepted the proclamation during the meeting.
“On behalf of my organization and the Filipino community in Kodiak, I’d like to thank you and accept this proclamation declaring June 2014 as the FilAm heritage month in Kodiak .”
The will hold its next regular meeting on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the borough assembly chambers. It will be broadcast live here on KMXT.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Health Care Plan Championed By Trump Hurts Counties That Voted For Him
- Powdered Vaccine Raises Hopes Of Stopping A Top Killer Of Kids
- Can Sears Survive? Maybe Not, Company Admits In Financial Filings
- Tillerson: Defeating ISIS 'No. 1 Goal' for U.S., But Others Should Do More
- When Is A Deal Just A Deal? When Trump Sells A Property, It's Not Always Clear
- London attack: Five dead in Westminster terror incident
- Thames Water fined £20m for sewage spill
- BA and Easyjet laptop ban 'in force by Saturday'
- IS conflict: US airlift backs new assault near Raqqa stronghold
- Wreckage of crashed helicopter R116 found off Mayo coast
- Trump ex-aide Paul Manafort 'offered to help Putin'
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages