June is Filipino American month in Kodiak. The proclamation was made by Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend during the Borough Assembly’s regular meeting earlier this month.
“It’s my honor tonight to make the proclamation declaring Filipino American heritage month in Kodiak, where as the Kodiak island borough is made up of a wonderful mosaic of culturally diverse people in where as Filipino Americans make vital contributions to the economic, social and political and cultural qualities of life in the community, and where as June 12th 2014 marks the 116th anniversary of the declaration of Philippine independence.”
Mary Guilis-Hawver, the current president of the Filipino American Association, accepted the proclamation during the meeting.
“On behalf of my organization and the Filipino community in Kodiak, I’d like to thank you and accept this proclamation declaring June 2014 as the FilAm heritage month in Kodiak .”
The will hold its next regular meeting on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the borough assembly chambers. It will be broadcast live here on KMXT.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- China Acknowledges Sale Of Advanced Missile Technology To Pakistan
- John Bolton's Curious Appearance In A Russian Gun Rights Video
- On Defense Over Russia, Trump Could Get Another Boost From House Intel Panel
- Unlike Much Of The Rest Of Washington, The Supreme Court Is No Snowflake
- Invisibilia: We All Think We Know The People We Love. We're All Deluded
- Theresa May to warn EU leaders of Russian threat to democracy
- Facebook's Zuckerberg 'sorry' over Cambridge Analytica 'breach'
- Westminster attack: Tobias Ellwood recalls 'eerie' silence
- UK passports 'to be made in France after Brexit'
- A blueberry muffin 'could have day's worth of sugar'
- Austin bomber: Deceased suspect named in Texas blasts
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, March 21, 2018
- After avalanche, crews clear road to Hatcher Pass
- Achieving wellness through Medicaid expansion
- Perryville man arrested, charged with murdering his grandfather
- In thwarted home invasion, Alakanuk shooter stopped by daughter’s boyfriend
- Response to oil spill in the Shuyak Strait continues
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages