June is Filipino American month in Kodiak. The proclamation was made by Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend during the Borough Assembly’s regular meeting earlier this month.
“It’s my honor tonight to make the proclamation declaring Filipino American heritage month in Kodiak, where as the Kodiak island borough is made up of a wonderful mosaic of culturally diverse people in where as Filipino Americans make vital contributions to the economic, social and political and cultural qualities of life in the community, and where as June 12th 2014 marks the 116th anniversary of the declaration of Philippine independence.”
Mary Guilis-Hawver, the current president of the Filipino American Association, accepted the proclamation during the meeting.
“On behalf of my organization and the Filipino community in Kodiak, I’d like to thank you and accept this proclamation declaring June 2014 as the FilAm heritage month in Kodiak .”
The will hold its next regular meeting on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the borough assembly chambers. It will be broadcast live here on KMXT.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Once A Contender, Angela Merkel's Main Rival Stumbles As Election Approaches
- Days After Police Shooting, 3 Arrested Amid Violence At Georgia Tech Vigil
- Fraternity Members' Defamation Case Against 'Rolling Stone' Can Proceed, Court Says
- Some Russians Fired Up Over New Kalashnikov Monument
- PHOTOS: Keys Residents Face Devastated Homes, No Power And A Slow Recovery
- Succeeding after prison
- Critical drugs in short supply for AFD and hospitals
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, Sept. 18, 2017
- PFD announcement fanfare is gone as dividends are cut in half
- Watchdog group scrutinizes rough-weather training for new tanker escorts in Prince William Sound
- Seismic work in ANWR: Can they do that?
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages