June is Filipino American month in Kodiak. The proclamation was made by Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend during the Borough Assembly’s regular meeting earlier this month.
“It’s my honor tonight to make the proclamation declaring Filipino American heritage month in Kodiak, where as the Kodiak island borough is made up of a wonderful mosaic of culturally diverse people in where as Filipino Americans make vital contributions to the economic, social and political and cultural qualities of life in the community, and where as June 12th 2014 marks the 116th anniversary of the declaration of Philippine independence.”
Mary Guilis-Hawver, the current president of the Filipino American Association, accepted the proclamation during the meeting.
“On behalf of my organization and the Filipino community in Kodiak, I’d like to thank you and accept this proclamation declaring June 2014 as the FilAm heritage month in Kodiak .”
The will hold its next regular meeting on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the borough assembly chambers. It will be broadcast live here on KMXT.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Trump To Outline His Blueprint For Military And Foreign Policy
- As Temperatures Fall, No Halt To Evictions Across Most Of The Country
- Week Ahead: Trump Might Get His Tax Bill, But That Might Be It Until After 2018
- On A Bad Date? These Apps Could Help You Stay Safe
- Older Adults' Forgetfulness Tied To Faulty Brain Rhythms In Sleep
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages