Plans are in the works for a new dock at Anton Larsen Bay. During the Kodiak Island Borough Assembly’s regular meeting on Thursday the assembly approved a contract for design and construction of the dock, which Borough Manager Bud Cassidy said is “badly needed.”
“The facility we have there is in just a state of disrepair. This will be approximately a 60-by-12-foot dock facility. Build it and they will come, because we know how popular it has become.”
The dock is often used for recreational boating, but also serves as a commuting point for folks traveling to and from the villages of Ouzinkie or Port Lions, as well as Afognak Island. The assembly approved a contract with Jensen Yorba Lott, Inc. on Thursday for architectural and engineering services and Cassidy said the predesign work for the dock is completed. He said the company traveled to the villages to collect input from communities that use the dock regularly. Some of the on land survey work has also been competed.
“The project was funded with a $2 million state legislature grant and an $80,000 Denali grant. We’re recommending approval of this contract to Jensen Yorba Lott in the amount of $208,950.”
During assembly discussion, Borough Mayor Jerrol Friend said he fully supported replacing the dock at Anton Larsen Bay, which he recently used when he came into town from a work trip over on Afognak Island.
“And I tell you what – I mean that dock is 60-foot long, but half of it I wouldn’t tie my boat up next to it. So there’s actually only a little bit of usable space on that 60-foot dock. And if I’m not mistaken there’s also going to be an add alternate for an additional length on that so hopefully if the price comes in right we’ll not only have 60-feet of dock space but 120-feet, if the price comes in good.”
Friend said he was shocked to see how busy the dock was in the middle of the week and knows there is even more usage during the weekend.
“So this is very much needed, it’s a safety thing that we’ve got.”
The assembly unanimously approved the contract with Jensen Yorba Lott. The last time the current dock at Anton Larsen Bay was upgraded was in 1995.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Government Shuts Down As Congress Fails To Pass Funding Measure
- Senate Set To Vote On Government Funding Bill Before Midnight
- L.A. Coroner: Tom Petty's Death Was Due To An Accidental Overdose
- Federal Charge Brought In Assault On Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul
- Justice Department To Retry Sen. Robert Menendez And Friend In Corruption Case
- US shutdown begins as Senate fails to pass new budget
- Macron says 'special' UK deal possible
- US musician Tom Petty died of 'accidental drug overdose'
- British tourists warned to 'stay in resorts' in Jamaica security emergency
- Will Gompertz reviews Sky Atlantic's drama Britannia ★★★☆☆
- Persian shallot 'could help fight TB antibiotic resistance'
- What’s open, what’s closed if the government shuts down
- Governor follows up on State of the State speech
- AK: What’s it like to drive a 54,000 pound DOT plow truck?
- Ready to mush: Kusko 300 ready to kick off
- Interior aims to sign King Cove road deal Monday, official confirms
- Diverse backgrounds among three on list for vacant state Senate seat
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages