Kodiak Area Native Association is set to receive grant funds from the federal government. A press release from U.S. Senator Mark Begich’s office announced that $384,000 will go to KANA, specifically to be used for treatment of depression.
KANA was awarded the money as a sub-grantee of the John A. Hartford foundation and the release said it will be used to create depression treatment programs at KANA using consulting psychiatrists and depression care managers.
The John A. Hartford foundation grants are made possible through a Social Innovation Fund, which is program of the Corporation for National and Community Services. To date, the Hartford foundation has awarded money to KANA and seven other sub-grantee organizations in Alaska, Montana, Washington and Wyoming.
In the release, Begich said he thinks the funds will help “improve the lives of individuals and families in Kodiak who might otherwise have suffered in silence.” He said he has long advocated for more mental health resources in Alaska, specifically for depression and the stigmas that surround it.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Those Affected By Trump's Travel Ban Hope For End To 'Chaos' After Supreme Court Case
- U.K. Officials Apologize After Lives Of Caribbean Immigrants Thrown Into Disarray
- Space-Hopping 'Avengers: Infinity War' Raises The Stakes To Infinity — And Beyond
- Suspect Is At Large After Shooting 3, Including 2 Police Officers, In Dallas
- In Closing, Cosby's Lawyers Call His Accuser A 'Pathological Liar'
- Corbyn anti-Semitism meeting 'disappointing', Jewish leaders say
- Alfie Evans parents to appeal against Italy travel ban ruling
- Trump and Macron hint at new Iran nuclear deal
- Man critical after Anfield attack before Liverpool-Roma clash
- Kim Wall death - what we know so far
- WhatsApp to raise minimum age limit to 16 in EU
- Offshore lease schedule for Beaufort draws flak
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, April 24, 2018
- As Mat-Su mulls budget, school funding off the table
- Strong winds batter Anchorage
- Marijuana-regulating ordinance advocates flood Fairbanks city council hearing to urge passage
- Virgin America merger with Alaska Air reaches logistical crescendo this week
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages