Kodiak Area Native Association is set to receive grant funds from the federal government. A press release from U.S. Senator Mark Begich’s office announced that $384,000 will go to KANA, specifically to be used for treatment of depression.
KANA was awarded the money as a sub-grantee of the John A. Hartford foundation and the release said it will be used to create depression treatment programs at KANA using consulting psychiatrists and depression care managers.
The John A. Hartford foundation grants are made possible through a Social Innovation Fund, which is program of the Corporation for National and Community Services. To date, the Hartford foundation has awarded money to KANA and seven other sub-grantee organizations in Alaska, Montana, Washington and Wyoming.
In the release, Begich said he thinks the funds will help “improve the lives of individuals and families in Kodiak who might otherwise have suffered in silence.” He said he has long advocated for more mental health resources in Alaska, specifically for depression and the stigmas that surround it.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Walmart Offers Product To Destroy Leftover Opioids, But Critics Say It's Unnecessary
- U.K. Lawmakers Want To Battle Waste With A 'Latte Levy' On Disposable Cups
- Aetna Agrees To Pay $17 Million In HIV Privacy Breach
- U.K. Now Has A Minister For Loneliness
- A 'Fraught Time' For Press Freedom In The Philippines
- Bonuses for Carillion bosses are blocked
- 'Do not travel' warning as snow storm hits
- Koreas to march under single 'united' flag in Olympic Games
- YouTube singer Chrissy Chambers wins revenge porn case
- Residents asked to foot £2m bill to replace Grenfell-like cladding
- Dylan Farrow addresses Woody Allen sexual assault claim
- Traveling Music 1-21-18
- Board of Fisheries requires daily bag limits for subsistence shrimp harvest
- House leaders aim for compromise, early school budget this year
- Anchorage jail secretly, accidentally recorded attorney-client conversations
- Three finalists up for consideration to fill vacant Alaska Senate seat
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages