The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has announced the closure of the black rockfish season in the eastside district of the Kodiak area for mechanical jig and hand troll gear. The closure will be at 11:59 p.m. Monday night.
In an emergency order, the department said the guideline harvest level, at 30,000 pounds, will likely be met by that time.
Following the closure, all gear types may retain black rockfish in the Eastside District as bycatch, up to five percent by weight of the target species onboard. Jig vessel operators must contact ADF&G in Kodiak by phone or in person to change district registration.
The Kodiak, Chignik and South Alaska Peninsula Black Rockfish season opened on January 1st with a total GHL of 300,000 pounds.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- How A Theory Of Crime And Policing Was Born, And Went Terribly Wrong
- Texas Lawmakers Trade Assault Allegations After One Calls ICE On Protesters
- 'Asking God To Forgive Me': N.C. Lawmaker Seeks Redemption For War Votes
- Tiger Woods Arrested On Suspicion Of DUI In Florida
- Trump Honors Fallen Warriors At Arlington National Cemetery
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, May 29, 2017
- Native groups install totem pole at Gastineau Elementary, lost cemetery
- Digital restoration of The Drums Of Winter deepens colors, brings light to shadows
- Petersburg school uses Minecraft video game in student led program
- Quake prone cities on West Coast aim to improve countermeasures
- Alaska reflects on Memorial Day
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages