The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has announced the closure of the black rockfish season in the eastside district of the Kodiak area for mechanical jig and hand troll gear. The closure will be at 11:59 p.m. Monday night.
In an emergency order, the department said the guideline harvest level, at 30,000 pounds, will likely be met by that time.
Following the closure, all gear types may retain black rockfish in the Eastside District as bycatch, up to five percent by weight of the target species onboard. Jig vessel operators must contact ADF&G in Kodiak by phone or in person to change district registration.
The Kodiak, Chignik and South Alaska Peninsula Black Rockfish season opened on January 1st with a total GHL of 300,000 pounds.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- California Wildfires Leave Seasonal Agricultural Workers In Limbo
- Holes In The Plot: Suspect Loses Bet With Cops, Turns Himself In — With Doughnuts
- Trump Says Administration's Response To Hurricane In Puerto Rico 'A 10'
- Meet Jacinda Ardern, 37, New Zealand's Next Prime Minister
- What's The Section 99 Tax Deduction?
- Red Salmon Cannery dinged for Clean Air Act violation
- King Cove and feds exploring options to build road without Congressional approval
- How to end homelessness in Anchorage, together
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017
- Federal, state and Anchorage officials roll out “Alaska Anti-Violent Crime Strategy”
- All seven resolutions passed on final day of Elders and Youth conference
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages