The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has announced the closure of the black rockfish season in the eastside district of the Kodiak area for mechanical jig and hand troll gear. The closure will be at 11:59 p.m. Monday night.
In an emergency order, the department said the guideline harvest level, at 30,000 pounds, will likely be met by that time.
Following the closure, all gear types may retain black rockfish in the Eastside District as bycatch, up to five percent by weight of the target species onboard. Jig vessel operators must contact ADF&G in Kodiak by phone or in person to change district registration.
The Kodiak, Chignik and South Alaska Peninsula Black Rockfish season opened on January 1st with a total GHL of 300,000 pounds.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Walmart Offers Product To Destroy Leftover Opioids, But Critics Say It's Unnecessary
- U.K. Lawmakers Want To Battle Waste With A 'Latte Levy' On Disposable Cups
- Aetna Agrees To Pay $17 Million In HIV Privacy Breach
- U.K. Now Has A Minister For Loneliness
- A 'Fraught Time' For Press Freedom In The Philippines
- Bonuses for Carillion bosses are blocked
- 'Do not travel' warning as snow storm hits
- Koreas to march under single 'united' flag in Olympic Games
- YouTube singer Chrissy Chambers wins revenge porn case
- Residents asked to foot £2m bill to replace Grenfell-like cladding
- Dylan Farrow addresses Woody Allen sexual assault claim
- Traveling Music 1-21-18
- Board of Fisheries requires daily bag limits for subsistence shrimp harvest
- House leaders aim for compromise, early school budget this year
- Anchorage jail secretly, accidentally recorded attorney-client conversations
- Three finalists up for consideration to fill vacant Alaska Senate seat
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages