The Alaska Department of Fish and Game has announced the closure of the black rockfish season in the eastside district of the Kodiak area for mechanical jig and hand troll gear. The closure will be at 11:59 p.m. Monday night.
In an emergency order, the department said the guideline harvest level, at 30,000 pounds, will likely be met by that time.
Following the closure, all gear types may retain black rockfish in the Eastside District as bycatch, up to five percent by weight of the target species onboard. Jig vessel operators must contact ADF&G in Kodiak by phone or in person to change district registration.
The Kodiak, Chignik and South Alaska Peninsula Black Rockfish season opened on January 1st with a total GHL of 300,000 pounds.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- John McCain Set To Make A Dramatic Return Amid Political Storm
- Does Your Family's Century-Old Pyrex Still Rule The Kitchen?
- Does It Matter If Trump Jr., Manafort Are Under Oath When They Talk To Congress?
- What Are The Planet's Real 'Talking' Chimps And Gorillas Saying?
- Alabama Woman Stuck In NYC Traffic In 1902 Invented The Windshield Wiper
- Charlie Gard: 'Last precious moments' for parents with their son
- Plans to ban leaseholds on new-build houses in England
- Celine Dookhran killing: Tributes paid to 'beautiful girl'
- Highest number of fatal police shootings for 12 years
- Marvyn Iheanacho jailed for killing boy over lost trainer
- Corsica fires threaten homes in Biguglia
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, July 24, 2017
- Marine debris won’t stop, but neither will those cleaning it up
- 2 Haines food entrepreneurs are finalists in Southeast business contest
- Behind the scenes of Wild Alaska Live
- Washington man pleads not guilty to murder, theft in Ketchikan doctor’s death
- ‘Mayor’ Stubbs the Cat passes away at 20
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages