It’s official: Delta Western fuel supply workers in Unalaska are unionized. The National Labor Relations Board certified the workers’ vote to join the Inland Boatmen’s Union last week, according to an IBU statement.
The workers had voted by an eight to 15 margin to join the union in early April. An NLRB representative oversaw the election.
The next step will be to negotiate a contract for the workers. The IBU will head up that process.
The road to unionizing began in February, when Delta Western workers walked off the job in
protest of alleged workplace mistreatment. They went on strike again in March and filed a federal complaint with the NLRB, saying their managers were using illegal methods to punish them for striking and to keep them from organizing.
The group petitioned to join the IBU soon after. They’re now the only unionized Delta Western terminal in Alaska.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Pentagon Will Build 2 More Temporary Camps To House Migrants, Mattis Says
- Casualty Of Trade Tensions: Harley-Davidson Shifting More Production Overseas
- Red Meat Allergies Caused By Tick Bites Are On The Rise
- Pregnant Women: Avoid Soft Cheeses, But Do Get These Shots
- House Republicans Face Another Week Of Fighting Over Immigration
- Heathrow Airport: Boris Johnson defends missing runway vote
- Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
- Jamaica deaths: Manchester couple 'dreamed' of move
- Roseanne Barr regrets becoming 'hate magnet'
- Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- Terminally ill woman makes memory boxes for her children
- Power lunch: US senators transfixed by Bear Cam
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, June 22, 2018
- Investing in small business
- Search still on for bear that killed one, mauled another in Eagle River
- Anchorage police arrest dozens in ‘Operation Midnight Sun’
- Two Alaska projects selected for federal marine energy innovation grant funds
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages