Bears have definitely been in the news a lot these days, and it’s the time of year when they will probably only continue to do so. As more and more start emerging from their dens, it’s likely folks will start seeing a lot more of the famous Kodiak bruins, and need to be sure to take preventative measures with food and trash to keep them out of residential areas.
But the recent sightings and reports make one Alaskan author’s visit to the island this Friday rather timely. Sherry Simpson wrote “Dominion of Bears,” and has spent a considerable amount of time studying, learning and writing about bears. She will speak at Kodiak College Friday evening, but KMXT’s Brianna Gibbs caught up with her earlier this week to learn more about her book, which explores the often complex relationship between humans and bears.
Simpson is also a creative writing professor at University of Alaska Anchorage and will be reading excerpts from her book and discussing bears at Kodiak College. The presentation is free and open to the public. It will start at 7 p.m. in room 130 of the Benny Benson Building.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Russian Bobsledder Disqualified For Doping, Court Says
- Czech Republic's Ester Ledecka Makes History With Golds In Snowboarding And Skiing
- U.S. Men's Curling Team Wins Gold, Beating Sweden 10-7 At Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
- Trump Administration Restricts H-1B Worker Visas Coveted By High Tech
- Logs Of 911 Calls Reveal The Troubled History Of Florida School Shooter
- Florida shooting: Firms abandon NRA amid consumer boycott
- Winter Olympics: Billy Morgan wins Great Britain's record fifth medal in Pyeongchang
- Two charged over Coventry brothers 'hit-and-run' deaths
- Red Cross reveals 21 staff paid for sexual services
- Euromillions results: UK ticket holder wins £78m
- 'Groped by Holy Mosque guard during Hajj' in Mecca
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Feb. 23, 2018
- Traveling Music 3-4-18
- Three dead in early morning Anchorage fire
- Walker among governors prodding Congress on health care
- Murkowski sends letter questioning oil companies about drop in Alaska hire
- Scientists discover mysterious uranium particle above Aleutian Islands
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages