Bears have definitely been in the news a lot these days, and it’s the time of year when they will probably only continue to do so. As more and more start emerging from their dens, it’s likely folks will start seeing a lot more of the famous Kodiak bruins, and need to be sure to take preventative measures with food and trash to keep them out of residential areas.
But the recent sightings and reports make one Alaskan author’s visit to the island this Friday rather timely. Sherry Simpson wrote “Dominion of Bears,” and has spent a considerable amount of time studying, learning and writing about bears. She will speak at Kodiak College Friday evening, but KMXT’s Brianna Gibbs caught up with her earlier this week to learn more about her book, which explores the often complex relationship between humans and bears.
Simpson is also a creative writing professor at University of Alaska Anchorage and will be reading excerpts from her book and discussing bears at Kodiak College. The presentation is free and open to the public. It will start at 7 p.m. in room 130 of the Benny Benson Building.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Health Insurers Are Vacuuming Up Details About You — And It Could Raise Your Rates
- Amid A Hispanic Boom, Conflicting Feelings On Immigration
- Trump's Helsinki Bow to Putin Leaves World Wondering: Why?
- Money Surges Toward House Democratic Hopefuls
- Late Mother Teresa's Order Investigated For Child Trafficking In India
- Vote Leave: Brexit campaign 'broke electoral law' in referendum
- Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- Brexit: Chequers plan not dead, insists Liam Fox
- Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling comments
- Slime toys could have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron, says Which?
- IS fighters' orphaned children stranded in Libya
- Iditarod adds four new board members amid criticism
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, July 16, 2018
- Alaska’s LNG project looking for private contractor to help with federal permitting
- Alaska senators fault Trump for going easy on Putin
- Alutiiq ancestral objects return home to Kodiak after nearly 150 years
- Looking to fill niche and begin enterprise, Anchorage teen opens streetwear store
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages