Bears have definitely been in the news a lot these days, and it’s the time of year when they will probably only continue to do so. As more and more start emerging from their dens, it’s likely folks will start seeing a lot more of the famous Kodiak bruins, and need to be sure to take preventative measures with food and trash to keep them out of residential areas.
But the recent sightings and reports make one Alaskan author’s visit to the island this Friday rather timely. Sherry Simpson wrote “Dominion of Bears,” and has spent a considerable amount of time studying, learning and writing about bears. She will speak at Kodiak College Friday evening, but KMXT’s Brianna Gibbs caught up with her earlier this week to learn more about her book, which explores the often complex relationship between humans and bears.
Simpson is also a creative writing professor at University of Alaska Anchorage and will be reading excerpts from her book and discussing bears at Kodiak College. The presentation is free and open to the public. It will start at 7 p.m. in room 130 of the Benny Benson Building.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- 20 Injured As Massive Fire Tears Through Senior Living Center Near Philadelphia
- Jesse Jackson Says He Has Parkinson's Disease
- Young Men, Frequent Drivers Most Likely To Get Distracted While Driving
- Clues In That Mysterious Radioactive Cloud Point Toward Russia
- Government Outlines When It Will Disclose Or Exploit Software Vulnerabilities
- Aircraft and helicopter in mid-air crash
- Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland
- Mistakes in benefits claims could cost up to £500m
- George Bush Snr accused of groping by eighth woman
- The degrees that make you rich... and the ones that don't
- Hero dog Mali receives highest award for gallantry
- Behind the scenes with ACT’s new staff members
- ACLU says judges would invalidate crime law provision, but prosecutors see a solution
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017
- House passes tax plan, the bill Young says will open ANWR
- Interior Gas Utility sets public meetings to explain proposed purchase of Pentex Assets
- Bingo hall theft: Man in Halloween mask grabbed money and ran
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages