Bears have definitely been in the news a lot these days, and it’s the time of year when they will probably only continue to do so. As more and more start emerging from their dens, it’s likely folks will start seeing a lot more of the famous Kodiak bruins, and need to be sure to take preventative measures with food and trash to keep them out of residential areas.
But the recent sightings and reports make one Alaskan author’s visit to the island this Friday rather timely. Sherry Simpson wrote “Dominion of Bears,” and has spent a considerable amount of time studying, learning and writing about bears. She will speak at Kodiak College Friday evening, but KMXT’s Brianna Gibbs caught up with her earlier this week to learn more about her book, which explores the often complex relationship between humans and bears.
Simpson is also a creative writing professor at University of Alaska Anchorage and will be reading excerpts from her book and discussing bears at Kodiak College. The presentation is free and open to the public. It will start at 7 p.m. in room 130 of the Benny Benson Building.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- South Korea Tests Missile As President Speaks Of Need To 'Dominate' North
- Bill Cosby Is Planning Town Halls About Sexual Assault And The Law, Spokesman Says
- Efforts Increase To Bring Health And Other Benefits To Independent Workers
- Could The Best Memory System Be One That Forgets?
- Neighboring Arab Nations Slap Qatar With 13-Point List Of Demands
- Grenfell Tower: Fire started in Hotpoint fridge-freezer, say police
- Brexit: EU leaders says UK offer could 'worsen situation'
- Dan Evans: Great Britain Davis Cup player fails drugs test
- Exeter academy skirt boys win right to wear shorts
- Sally Hodkin murder: Failings led to killing by Nicola Edgington
- Actor surprises Glastonbury fans
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, June 22, 2017
- Legislature passes budget compromise to avert shutdown
- ‘Sense of relief’ as cuts to UA system are less than expected
- Murkowski’s take on health bill? Stay tuned
- Man charged in 2015 Wasilla double murder
- Walker signs bill granting health insurance to dependents of fallen police, firefighters
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages