ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A federal judge says defense attorneys in the Kodiak Coast Guard CommSta murder trial can’t call a witness currently in custody on another case, though he may allow it in the future.
Judge Ralph Beistline ruled today (Friday) that 38-year-old Jason Barnum didn’t have a sufficient connection to the case to testify in the trial of 62-year-old James Wells now underway in Anchorage.
Barnum acknowledged being in Kodiak at the time but says he didn’t know the slain men.
In a separate case, Barnum is charged with attempting to kill an Anchorage police officer at a hotel in September 2012.
Barnum is heavily tattooed, including on his eyeball, and federal prosecutor Karen Loeffler says there’s no reason to call him as a witness other than to frighten the jury.
Wells is charged with murder in the deaths of co-workers Richard Belisle and James Hopkins on April. 12, 2012, at the Coast Guard Base Kodiak Communications Station.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Scientists Peek Inside The 'Black Box' Of Soil Microbes To Learn Their Secrets
- Cryptocurrency Investors Worry, Wait After Bitcoin Price Drop
- 'This Is Depraved Conduct': Couple Charged With Torture After Kids Found Shackled
- More States Turning To Toll Roads To Raise Cash For Infrastructure
- Roger Severino Discusses The HHS Division Of Conscience And Religious Freedom
- Calais migrants: UK and France sign new treaty
- Turpin case: California couple deny torturing 'shackled siblings'
- UK 'in grip of worst flu season since 2011'
- Cheers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Cardiff Castle
- Amelia Blake: Family 'shocked' by backpacker death in Sydney
- Pope Francis marries couple on Chile flight
- Mat-Su Borough Assembly rejects agreement with state on air quality
- Among 100-plus proposals, Sitka’s sac roe herring fishery a top issue
- Top Republican, Democrat in Alaska Senate differ on income tax
- State-ordered investigation following BP leak finds no additional problem wells
- Calls for service plummet amid new strategy at Anchorage shelter
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages