ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The Coast Guardsman who discovered the bodies of two murdered men nearly two years ago says he thought at first they were playing a prank on him.
Petty Officer Cody Beaufort testified Wednesday in the trial of James Wells, who’s charged with shooting to death retired Coast Guardsman Richard Belisle and Petty Officer James Hopkins, both of who he worked with at Coast Guard Base Kodiak Communication Station.
Prosecutors say Belisle used a security card to open the Rigger Shop, a satellite building at the communication station, at 7 a.m. April 12, 2012. Hopkins’ truck pulled in eight minutes later.
Beaufort arrived at about 7:30 and found Hopkins lying in a break room. He spoke to Hopkins but received no response.
Beaufort found the body of Belisle in an office near Belisle’s desk. Beaufort returned to the break room to phone for help.
The trial will continue Thursday at Federal Court in Anchorage.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Those Affected By Trump's Travel Ban Hope For End To 'Chaos' After Supreme Court Case
- U.K. Officials Apologize After Lives Of Caribbean Immigrants Thrown Into Disarray
- Space-Hopping 'Avengers: Infinity War' Raises The Stakes To Infinity — And Beyond
- Suspect Is At Large After Shooting 3, Including 2 Police Officers, In Dallas
- In Closing, Cosby's Lawyers Call His Accuser A 'Pathological Liar'
- Corbyn anti-Semitism meeting 'disappointing', Jewish leaders say
- Alfie Evans parents to appeal against Italy travel ban ruling
- Trump and Macron hint at new Iran nuclear deal
- Man critical after Anfield attack before Liverpool-Roma clash
- Kim Wall death - what we know so far
- Building material fire tests 'fail to properly assess risk'
- Offshore lease schedule for Beaufort draws flak
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, April 24, 2018
- As Mat-Su mulls budget, school funding off the table
- Strong winds batter Anchorage
- Marijuana-regulating ordinance advocates flood Fairbanks city council hearing to urge passage
- Virgin America merger with Alaska Air reaches logistical crescendo this week
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages