Kodiak students interested in learning more about PreMed programs offered through the University of Alaska Anchorage will have a chance to do so this weekend. The 9th annual Alaska PreMed Summit will be videoconference from UAA at the Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center on Saturday from 9 a.m. until around 4 p.m.
Brian Himelbloom is an associate professor at the marine science center and said the summit focuses on the program WWAMI.
“And what that stands for are the five states in the pacific northwest – Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho. And the whole idea behind the program is to support medical education across this entire region.”
Himelbloom said students that apply and are accepted into this program would be on their way toward obtaining a medical degree through the University Of Washington School Of Medicine.
As for Saturday’s summit, Himelbloom said people can stop by and learn more about necessary steps for entering the medical field.
“Yeah it’s more of an informational session so they can pick up quite a number of brochures and information as their making their decisions on their next steps in education.”
While registration isn’t required, Himelbloom said it would be helpful if people interested in attending contacted him before Saturday to let him know they might go. He said folks can contact his office at the Seafood and Marine Science Center.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Quebec Enacts 'Religious Neutrality Law' That Curbs Full-Face Veils In Public
- Yes Or No? Spain Demands An Answer On Catalonia's Independence
- Federal Judge Orders Government To Allow Abortion For Teenager In The U.S. Illegally
- Declassified Files Lay Bare U.S. Knowledge Of Mass Murders In Indonesia
- Emoluments Hearing Hints At What May Be At Stake: Trump's Tax Returns
- How to end homelessness in Anchorage, together
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2017
- Federal, state and Anchorage officials roll out “Alaska Anti-Violent Crime Strategy”
- All seven resolutions passed on final day of Elders and Youth conference
- Fish and Game looks to secure water rights along major state rivers
- Iditarod names Joseph Redington, Jr. 2018 Honorary Musher
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages