Annie Ropeik, Lauren Rosenthal/KUCB
A member of the Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment in Unalaska has passed away in Anchorage.
Petty Officer Michal Marciniak died at Alaska Regional Hospital Tuesday morning while receiving treatment for a serious illness. Marciniak had fallen ill Monday morning and was medevacked to Cold Bay on a Coast Guard helicopter. A commercial medevac brought him to Alaska Regional’s emergency room in critical condition.
Petty officer Shawn Eggert says the Coast Guard is investigating what happened, but at this point, he says it’s clear Marciniak’s illness wasn’t linked to his job.
Marciniak was a Marine Science Technician — one of five at the Unalaska MSD. He was 30 years old.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Once A Contender, Angela Merkel's Main Rival Stumbles As Election Approaches
- Days After Police Shooting, 3 Arrested Amid Violence At Georgia Tech Vigil
- Fraternity Members' Defamation Case Against 'Rolling Stone' Can Proceed, Court Says
- Some Russians Fired Up Over New Kalashnikov Monument
- PHOTOS: Keys Residents Face Devastated Homes, No Power And A Slow Recovery
- Succeeding after prison
- Critical drugs in short supply for AFD and hospitals
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, Sept. 18, 2017
- PFD announcement fanfare is gone as dividends are cut in half
- Watchdog group scrutinizes rough-weather training for new tanker escorts in Prince William Sound
- Seismic work in ANWR: Can they do that?
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages