Annie Ropeik, Lauren Rosenthal/KUCB
A member of the Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment in Unalaska has passed away in Anchorage.
Petty Officer Michal Marciniak died at Alaska Regional Hospital Tuesday morning while receiving treatment for a serious illness. Marciniak had fallen ill Monday morning and was medevacked to Cold Bay on a Coast Guard helicopter. A commercial medevac brought him to Alaska Regional’s emergency room in critical condition.
Petty officer Shawn Eggert says the Coast Guard is investigating what happened, but at this point, he says it’s clear Marciniak’s illness wasn’t linked to his job.
Marciniak was a Marine Science Technician — one of five at the Unalaska MSD. He was 30 years old.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- What's It Really Like To Work In A Prison Goat Milk Farm? We Asked Inmates
- O.J. Simpson Granted Parole
- Newest Senate Health Care Overhaul Would Increase Uninsured By 22 Million, CBO Says
- Fear And Fury In Venezuela, As Strike Protesting 'Dictatorship' Begins
- The Insecurity Of America's Old And Underfunded Voting Systems
- OJ Simpson to be freed from Nevada prison
- Chester Bennington: Linkin Park vocalist 'took his own life'
- Brexit: UK and EU at odds over 'exit bill'
- Largest crime rise in England and Wales for 10 years
- Xanda, son of Cecil the lion, 'killed by hunter' in Zimbabwe
- Andrea Leadsom slips up and calls Jane Austen 'living author'
- State, municipalities face higher borrowing costs from falling credit ratings
- Video: Oil clues hidden in stone
- Audiogram: Alaska’s great recession
- Fishermen on Yukon lose economic opportunity when buyer becomes overloaded, cancels opening
- Alaska’s U.S. senators diverge on repeal, replace
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, July 19, 2017
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages