The Alaska SeaLife Center announced the winners of the 2014 Alaska Ocean Leadership Awards last month and the Pribilof Sudent Marine Research Student Team received the Ocean Youth Award.
Each year the SeaLife Center recognizes individuals and organizations that have contributed to awareness and sustainability of marine resources. The Pribilof Student Marine Research Student Team is group of young scientists that have spent almost half a decade studying marine species indigenous to the Bering Sea and Pribilof Islands. They worked closely with the rare species of Blue King Crab and have contributed to the research surrounding sustainable management of the stocks.
Some members of Pribilof’s student team were in Kodiak over the summer and learned about different research methods being used by NOAA, University of Alaska Fairbanks and the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
The Ocean Youth Award will be presented during the Alaska Marine Gala.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Brexit: Theresa May 'to offer 20bn euros transitional deal'
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages