A mariner possibly suffering from appendicitis was medevac’ed from a vessel near Unalaska on Saturday.
The Coast Guard sent an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter from the cutter Alex Haley to hoist the 40-year-old man from the 559-foot bulk carrier Ken Ei [ken eye], a Panama-flagged vessel. It was about 100 miles northwest of Unalaska at the time.
The man was suffering from abdominal pain, and the Coast Guard duty flight surgeon determined he might have had appendicitis. The crewman was transported first to Dutch Harbor, where a larger MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter took him to Cold Bay to meet a commercial medflight for further treatment in Anchorage.
There were reportedly 40-mile-an-hour winds and seven-foot seas on scene during the medevac.
The Coast Guard forward-deploys crews from Air Station Kodiak around the Bering Sea to cut response times during this busy time of year. Saturday’s was their third medevac of past week, and their eighth in the region in the new year.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Two-year Brexit transition deal 'discussed at marathon Cabinet'
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages