It’s been more than four months since one of the largest typhoons ever recorded hit the Philippines. Super Typhoon Haiyan wiped away entire towns and left many people without homes, mourning the loss of families and friends lost in the storm.
Here in Kodiak, where Filipino-Americans make up almost 35 percent of the population, community members were quick to organize fundraisers for victims of the typhoon. As clean up and rebuilding continues in the Philippines, so do those fundraising efforts here in Kodiak. KMXT’s Brianna Gibbs filed this report on an upcoming fundraiser, and how folks can get involved.
Marc Ignacio, also known as DJ Marc, helped put together the inspirational benefit concert that will feature singer-songwriter Kitchie Nadal. Nadal is already well known in Asia and the Pacific Islands for her music, but has also made a name for herself as a humanitarian. Ignacio said she’s worked with a number of homeless youth and often uses music to inspire them through workshops and outreach.
Kitchie Nadal will perform for the first time in Kodiak on February 28 at 7 p.m. at the Gerald C. Wilson Auditorium. It is an all ages show and tickets are on sale for $35 at Noodles Restaurant and Asian Groceries and Gifts.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Syrian Airstrike Hits Marketplace Near Turkish Border, Killing More Than Two Dozen
- Rain And Snow Vex Both Coasts
- Foreign Policy Expert Discusses John Bolton's National Security Adviser Appointment
- $500K Bond For Brother Of Alleged Florida Shooter Is 'Reprehensible,' Lawyer Says
- Illinois Town Tries Hard To Wean Off Of Steel
- ACLU sues city of Palmer over alleged unlawful immigrant arrest
- Feds take key step toward approving another Conoco development in NPR-A
- State budget largely unchanged after 3 days of amendments
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, March 22, 2018
- Congress poised to approve $15M for village relocation in Alaska
- As bridge fix continues, Glenn Highway congestion could go on for days
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages