There are about 368 miles of trails in the greater Kodiak area and one local organization is looking to make them more recognizable. Tom Pogson is the director of marine programs and outreach for Kodiak Island Trails Network and said there is some funding in the works that will help put up signs throughout town, identifying trails and routes.
“There’s been a lot of feedback to the trails network about how there are so many trails but there’s not a lot of information on the trails posted at the trails. And we are in the process of developing a grant, it’s an experimental project to do signage at trails in some of the areas that are close to Kodiak.”
He said the hope is to create signs that will provide basic information, like the names and distances of certain trails.
“Probably will increase people’s interest in using these trails. Especially for newcomers, and there’s a lot of newcomers to the island.”
The areas ITN is looking to build signs for include Termination Point, Near Island, Jack’s Lakes, Russian Ridge and the easement trail at Anton Larsen Bay. The organization will work closely with respective land owners of those areas in the process.
Pogson said the sign construction is likely to start next fall, and the hope is to install signs sometime in 2015. Funding for the signs will come from Alaska Department of Natural Resources’ Outdoor Recreational Trails Advisory Board and Recreational Trails Program.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- As Milk Production Cools In Summer, Farmers Try To Help Cows Take The Heat
- Doctoral Student Compiles Database Of Indigenous Women Who've Gone Missing
- The Russia Investigations: How Many More Maria Butinas Are There?
- Prize-Winning #iPhoneOnly Photos: From Dinos To Divers
- Now A Museum, This USSR Submarine Base Was Built To Endure U.S. Nukes — And Retaliate
- Court filing aims to prevent lawsuits by Alaska victims in Las Vegas shooting
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, July 20, 2018
- Murkowski calls on Trump to end ‘sad chapter’ of splitting families at border
- In apparent suicide, man dies after jumping from eighth floor of UAF building
- UA’s College of Education
- 49 Voices: Benito Achas of Kodiak
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages