Last night’s Kodiak Island Borough Assembly meeting was one for the record books. If you missed it, don’t feel too bad. At almost two minutes exactly it was quite possibly one of the shortest meetings in the history of the borough.
Despite having a full agenda, and roughly a dozen borough staff and community members in the audience, the meeting didn’t make it past role call because not enough assembly members were present.
In fact, as Deputy Clerk Jessica Kilborn explains to Deputy Mayor Chris Lynch, the lack of quorum even prevented absent assembly members from being excused.
“Chair Lynch we do not have a quorum. Do we need to excuse people first? We would have to have a motion to excuse people and we don’t have a quorum for a motion. Oh, OK. Due to a lack of a quorum the meeting will be adjourned at this time. Agenda items from this meeting will move forward to the next meeting which is scheduled Thursday, January 2. We are adjourned.”
Next week’s work session was also cancelled; meaning tonight was the last assembly gathering until 2014.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Brexit: Theresa May 'to offer 20bn euros transitional deal'
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages