Things have been a little busier at the Kodiak Animal Shelter these days. Last month the borough assembly voted to reinstate animal control along the borough road system, which means areas like Bells Flats and Monashka Bay are now being serviced.
Jean Lilly is the shelter manager and said there were a lot more dogs brought in, in November, which she thinks is probably attributed to the borough expanding its animal control. She said most of the animals were collected by their owners relatively quickly, so there hasn’t been a lot of crowding at the shelter.
As far as adoption this time of year, she said Christmas hasn’t affected the shelter too much and it’s been an average month as far as adoption numbers go.
This Saturday is the shelter’s Santa Paws Pictures event. The pet photos with Santa will take place from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. and cost $7. Unlike past years, Lilly said this year’s photo shoots will be by appointment only, but people can call the animal shelter to sign up for a time to come by and have holiday photos of their pets taken. She said all of the money collected will go toward the shelter and print copies will be given to folks as well as digital copies via email.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- As Milk Production Cools In Summer, Farmers Try To Help Cows Take The Heat
- Doctoral Student Compiles Database Of Indigenous Women Who've Gone Missing
- The Russia Investigations: How Many More Maria Butinas Are There?
- Prize-Winning #iPhoneOnly Photos: From Dinos To Divers
- Now A Museum, This USSR Submarine Base Was Built To Endure U.S. Nukes — And Retaliate
- Court filing aims to prevent lawsuits by Alaska victims in Las Vegas shooting
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, July 20, 2018
- Murkowski calls on Trump to end ‘sad chapter’ of splitting families at border
- In apparent suicide, man dies after jumping from eighth floor of UAF building
- UA’s College of Education
- 49 Voices: Benito Achas of Kodiak
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages