When Kodiak High School students arrived at school this (Wednesday) morning, they were welcomed by the acrid smell of soot. According to an announcement by the school district central office, a boiler backfired before classes and the smell was picked up by the building’s air handlers and piped throughout the building.
Maintenance personnel replaced the air filters and tried to ventilate the building as best they could before student showed up, though the smell lingered.
Tests done by the maintenance department to measure the carbon monoxide levels in the school showed they were within safe levels, and was backed up with an additional test conducted by the Kodiak Fire Department.
Classes are being held, and school officials posted that they are following all possible safety procedures.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Rory McIlroy Wins Invitational But Tiger Woods Gets More Attention
- Kushner Cos. Profited By False Filings On NYC Real Estate, Report Says
- Lawmakers Weigh Pros And Cons Of Mandatory Screening For Postpartum Depression
- Trump Cabinet Turnover Sets Record Going Back 100 Years
- Are There Risks From Secondhand Marijuana Smoke? Early Science Says Yes
- Russia election: Muted Western reaction to Putin victory
- Briton Anna Campbell killed fighting with Kurdish YPJ unit
- Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision
- Russian spy: International team to test Salisbury poison
- Davis and Barnier hope to agree Brexit transition terms
- Did my parents leave me on a hillside to die?
- Oil revenue is up in state’s spring forecast
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, March 16, 2017
- Preventing suicide with strength and resilience
- First Alaskans Institute helps revive Yup’ik traditional Qasgiq teachings at Cama-i
- Meet Lily and Gizelle
- Zulkosky organizes meeting to discuss alcohol’s impact on villages
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages