There’re a lot of reports this week of a bear sighting in the Selief Lane area of Kodiak. At least one, and perhaps two, brown bears were reported on Tuesday in the area between the 1200-block and the 1600-block, roughly from Maple Avenue to Lynden Way. Another sighting reported earlier to the Kodiak Police Department included a bear crossing Mill Bay Road.
The reports are generally at night between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. A Dumpster near the small park on Selief seems to be a favorite location, as well as backyard residential garbage cans.
Police officers have tried sirens and lights to scare the bear back into the nearby woods, but have had to resort to setting off noise making “cracker rounds” or shooting into the ground near the animals.
Residents are advised to exercise caution when it’s dark, report all sightings and make sure there is no garbage or pet food near the home, which would attract a hungry bear.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Pentagon Will Build 2 More Temporary Camps To House Migrants, Mattis Says
- Casualty Of Trade Tensions: Harley-Davidson Shifting More Production Overseas
- Red Meat Allergies Caused By Tick Bites Are On The Rise
- Pregnant Women: Avoid Soft Cheeses, But Do Get These Shots
- House Republicans Face Another Week Of Fighting Over Immigration
- Heathrow Airport: Boris Johnson defends missing runway vote
- Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
- Jamaica deaths: Manchester couple 'dreamed' of move
- Roseanne Barr regrets becoming 'hate magnet'
- Eighty-two chihuahuas found at Birmingham house
- Terminally ill woman makes memory boxes for her children
- Power lunch: US senators transfixed by Bear Cam
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, June 22, 2018
- Investing in small business
- Search still on for bear that killed one, mauled another in Eagle River
- Anchorage police arrest dozens in ‘Operation Midnight Sun’
- Two Alaska projects selected for federal marine energy innovation grant funds
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages