The only two teams to defeat the Kodiak High School Bears at the state volleyball championships were the ones who eventually faced off for the state title. Every other team that faced Kodiak, came up empty-handed.
The Bears tied their best performance ever at state with a third-place finish over the weekend in Anchorage. South beat Dimond three games to one to take the state title.Two Bears, Isabel Riina and Hannah Wandersee, both were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Kodiak started its run with a sweep of the host Chugiak Mustangs on Thursday, but fell to the eventual champion South Wolverines later that day. On Friday, the Bears started their march up through the losers’ bracket, downing Colony 3-0, following that up by sweeping Chugiak again Saturday morning to set up a match against Dimond. Kodiak stayed close in the first game, losing 22-25, but rebounded to win decisively 25-to-11 in the second. Dimond came back to win the last two games to take the match, ending the Bears’ otherwise spectacular season.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Health Insurers Are Vacuuming Up Details About You — And It Could Raise Your Rates
- Amid A Hispanic Boom, Conflicting Feelings On Immigration
- Trump's Helsinki Bow to Putin Leaves World Wondering: Why?
- Money Surges Toward House Democratic Hopefuls
- Late Mother Teresa's Order Investigated For Child Trafficking In India
- Vote Leave: Brexit campaign 'broke electoral law' in referendum
- Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- Brexit: Chequers plan not dead, insists Liam Fox
- Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling comments
- Slime toys could have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron, says Which?
- IS fighters' orphaned children stranded in Libya
- Iditarod adds four new board members amid criticism
- Alaska News Nightly: Monday, July 16, 2018
- Alaska’s LNG project looking for private contractor to help with federal permitting
- Alaska senators fault Trump for going easy on Putin
- Alutiiq ancestral objects return home to Kodiak after nearly 150 years
- Looking to fill niche and begin enterprise, Anchorage teen opens streetwear store
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages