The only two teams to defeat the Kodiak High School Bears at the state volleyball championships were the ones who eventually faced off for the state title. Every other team that faced Kodiak, came up empty-handed.
The Bears tied their best performance ever at state with a third-place finish over the weekend in Anchorage. South beat Dimond three games to one to take the state title.Two Bears, Isabel Riina and Hannah Wandersee, both were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Kodiak started its run with a sweep of the host Chugiak Mustangs on Thursday, but fell to the eventual champion South Wolverines later that day. On Friday, the Bears started their march up through the losers’ bracket, downing Colony 3-0, following that up by sweeping Chugiak again Saturday morning to set up a match against Dimond. Kodiak stayed close in the first game, losing 22-25, but rebounded to win decisively 25-to-11 in the second. Dimond came back to win the last two games to take the match, ending the Bears’ otherwise spectacular season.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Illinois Bishop Decrees No Communion, Funeral Rites For Same-Sex Spouses
- Arkansas Tries To Stop An Epidemic Of Herbicide Damage
- WATCH: It's Been A Long Week. So Here's A Gorilla Dancing In A Pool
- What The Man Who Ran Obamacare Thinks About the Republican Health Plan
- In North Carolina, No Is Not Always No, If The Sex Has Already Started
- Camden flats: Hundreds of homes evacuated over fire risk fears
- Brexit: EU leaders says UK offer could 'worsen situation'
- Dan Evans: Great Britain Davis Cup player tests positive for cocaine
- Exeter academy skirt boys win right to wear shorts
- Sally Hodkin murder: Failings led to killing by Nicola Edgington
- Radiohead on rare form at Glastonbury
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages