The only two teams to defeat the Kodiak High School Bears at the state volleyball championships were the ones who eventually faced off for the state title. Every other team that faced Kodiak, came up empty-handed.
The Bears tied their best performance ever at state with a third-place finish over the weekend in Anchorage. South beat Dimond three games to one to take the state title.Two Bears, Isabel Riina and Hannah Wandersee, both were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Kodiak started its run with a sweep of the host Chugiak Mustangs on Thursday, but fell to the eventual champion South Wolverines later that day. On Friday, the Bears started their march up through the losers’ bracket, downing Colony 3-0, following that up by sweeping Chugiak again Saturday morning to set up a match against Dimond. Kodiak stayed close in the first game, losing 22-25, but rebounded to win decisively 25-to-11 in the second. Dimond came back to win the last two games to take the match, ending the Bears’ otherwise spectacular season.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Russian Bobsledder Disqualified For Doping, Court Says
- Czech Republic's Ester Ledecka Makes History With Golds In Snowboarding And Skiing
- U.S. Men's Curling Team Wins Gold, Beating Sweden 10-7 At Pyeongchang Winter Olympics
- Trump Administration Restricts H-1B Worker Visas Coveted By High Tech
- Logs Of 911 Calls Reveal The Troubled History Of Florida School Shooter
- Florida shooting: Firms abandon NRA amid consumer boycott
- Winter Olympics: Billy Morgan wins Great Britain's record fifth medal in Pyeongchang
- Two charged over Coventry brothers 'hit-and-run' deaths
- Red Cross reveals 21 staff paid for sexual services
- Euromillions results: UK ticket holder wins £78m
- 'Groped by Holy Mosque guard during Hajj' in Mecca
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Feb. 23, 2018
- Traveling Music 3-4-18
- Three dead in early morning Anchorage fire
- Walker among governors prodding Congress on health care
- Murkowski sends letter questioning oil companies about drop in Alaska hire
- Scientists discover mysterious uranium particle above Aleutian Islands
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages