The only two teams to defeat the Kodiak High School Bears at the state volleyball championships were the ones who eventually faced off for the state title. Every other team that faced Kodiak, came up empty-handed.
The Bears tied their best performance ever at state with a third-place finish over the weekend in Anchorage. South beat Dimond three games to one to take the state title.Two Bears, Isabel Riina and Hannah Wandersee, both were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Kodiak started its run with a sweep of the host Chugiak Mustangs on Thursday, but fell to the eventual champion South Wolverines later that day. On Friday, the Bears started their march up through the losers’ bracket, downing Colony 3-0, following that up by sweeping Chugiak again Saturday morning to set up a match against Dimond. Kodiak stayed close in the first game, losing 22-25, but rebounded to win decisively 25-to-11 in the second. Dimond came back to win the last two games to take the match, ending the Bears’ otherwise spectacular season.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- 20 Injured As Massive Fire Tears Through Senior Living Center Near Philadelphia
- Jesse Jackson Says He Has Parkinson's Disease
- Young Men, Frequent Drivers Most Likely To Get Distracted While Driving
- Clues In That Mysterious Radioactive Cloud Point Toward Russia
- Government Outlines When It Will Disclose Or Exploit Software Vulnerabilities
- Aircraft and helicopter in mid-air crash
- Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland
- Mistakes in benefits claims could cost up to £500m
- George Bush Snr accused of groping by eighth woman
- The degrees that make you rich... and the ones that don't
- Hero dog Mali receives highest award for gallantry
- Behind the scenes with ACT’s new staff members
- ACLU says judges would invalidate crime law provision, but prosecutors see a solution
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, Nov. 16, 2017
- House passes tax plan, the bill Young says will open ANWR
- Interior Gas Utility sets public meetings to explain proposed purchase of Pentex Assets
- Bingo hall theft: Man in Halloween mask grabbed money and ran
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages