The only two teams to defeat the Kodiak High School Bears at the state volleyball championships were the ones who eventually faced off for the state title. Every other team that faced Kodiak, came up empty-handed.
The Bears tied their best performance ever at state with a third-place finish over the weekend in Anchorage. South beat Dimond three games to one to take the state title.Two Bears, Isabel Riina and Hannah Wandersee, both were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Kodiak started its run with a sweep of the host Chugiak Mustangs on Thursday, but fell to the eventual champion South Wolverines later that day. On Friday, the Bears started their march up through the losers’ bracket, downing Colony 3-0, following that up by sweeping Chugiak again Saturday morning to set up a match against Dimond. Kodiak stayed close in the first game, losing 22-25, but rebounded to win decisively 25-to-11 in the second. Dimond came back to win the last two games to take the match, ending the Bears’ otherwise spectacular season.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Barcelona attack: New manhunt for suspected driver
- Sir Bruce Forsyth: TV legend dies aged 89
- Steve Bannon fired as Trump White House's top strategist
- Woman raped by Roman Polanski asks for 'mercy' to end case
- Charlottesville victim's mum rebukes Trump
- Lele Tao: The 'online goddess' who earns $450k a year
- Trump’s streamlining order: You’ve seen its kind before
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Aug. 18, 2017
- Fairbanks protesters organize against the state wolf control program
- Alaska Airlines pilots plan picket over lack of compensation
- How oyster milkshakes and teamwork are getting Alaska’s shellfish safely to market
- 49 Voices: William “Pops” Wilson of Wasilla
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages