A Kodiak High School graduate, now a senior at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is one of four students there who have been awarded $2,500 through the Thomas B. Crowley Senior Memorial Scholarship fund. Crowley Maritime announced the awards yesterday.
Alexandra Bateman is enrolled in the UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, seeking a degree in fisheries with a minor in rural development. While at Kodiak High School, she co-founded the Future Farms of America chapter and was a student representative on the Prince William Sound Regional Citizens Advisory Council, an oil industry watchdog group formed after the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. In a release, she said she would like to return to Kodiak and work for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game or the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge.
The other UAF students receiving scholarships are Gabrielle Bragg, Diloola Erickson and Kimberly Greenway.
Since 1984, Crowley has given more than $3-million in scholarships to more than 1,000 students studying at maritime academies and other institutions in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Central America.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Rory McIlroy Wins Invitational But Tiger Woods Gets More Attention
- Kushner Cos. Profited By False Filings On NYC Real Estate, Report Says
- Lawmakers Weigh Pros And Cons Of Mandatory Screening For Postpartum Depression
- Trump Cabinet Turnover Sets Record Going Back 100 Years
- Are There Risks From Secondhand Marijuana Smoke? Early Science Says Yes
- Russia election: Muted Western reaction to Putin victory
- Briton Anna Campbell killed fighting with Kurdish YPJ unit
- Ant McPartlin arrested over drink-driving collision
- Russian spy: International team to test Salisbury poison
- Davis and Barnier hope to agree Brexit transition terms
- Did my parents leave me on a hillside to die?
- Oil revenue is up in state’s spring forecast
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, March 16, 2017
- Preventing suicide with strength and resilience
- First Alaskans Institute helps revive Yup’ik traditional Qasgiq teachings at Cama-i
- Meet Lily and Gizelle
- Zulkosky organizes meeting to discuss alcohol’s impact on villages
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages