A Kodiak High School graduate, now a senior at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is one of four students there who have been awarded $2,500 through the Thomas B. Crowley Senior Memorial Scholarship fund. Crowley Maritime announced the awards yesterday.
Alexandra Bateman is enrolled in the UAF School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, seeking a degree in fisheries with a minor in rural development. While at Kodiak High School, she co-founded the Future Farms of America chapter and was a student representative on the Prince William Sound Regional Citizens Advisory Council, an oil industry watchdog group formed after the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. In a release, she said she would like to return to Kodiak and work for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game or the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge.
The other UAF students receiving scholarships are Gabrielle Bragg, Diloola Erickson and Kimberly Greenway.
Since 1984, Crowley has given more than $3-million in scholarships to more than 1,000 students studying at maritime academies and other institutions in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Central America.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- As Milk Production Cools In Summer, Farmers Try To Help Cows Take The Heat
- Doctoral Student Compiles Database Of Indigenous Women Who've Gone Missing
- The Russia Investigations: How Many More Maria Butinas Are There?
- Prize-Winning #iPhoneOnly Photos: From Dinos To Divers
- Now A Museum, This USSR Submarine Base Was Built To Endure U.S. Nukes — And Retaliate
- Hundreds attend Alesha MacPhail farewell
- Trump attacks Michael Cohen over 'Playboy model payment tape'
- Toblerone: Bar to revert to original shape
- Race leader 'finishes' half a lap early
- Japan heatwave: Warnings issued amid scorching temperatures
- Nine US 'duck boat' victims from the same family - governor
- Court filing aims to prevent lawsuits by Alaska victims in Las Vegas shooting
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, July 20, 2018
- Murkowski calls on Trump to end ‘sad chapter’ of splitting families at border
- In apparent suicide, man dies after jumping from eighth floor of UAF building
- UA’s College of Education
- 49 Voices: Benito Achas of Kodiak
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages