KODIAK, Alaska (AP) — Volunteers and emergency responders have ended their search for a missing 20-year-old man from Akhiok on Kodiak Island.
Brandon Phillips on Oct. 26 left the village 150 miles southwest of the city of Kodiak on an all-terrain vehicle and said he was going to hike. He was reported missing that night.
Alaska State Troopers spokeswoman Megan Peters told the Kodiak Daily Mirror that as many as 30 people searched for Phillips after the Coast Guard conducted weekend searches from the air with an infrared camera.
Searchers found Phillips’ ATV, two backpacks and a kayak.
They also found an oar floating in nearby water.
Troopers say Phillips may have fallen out of the kayak and died of hypothermia.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Barcelona attack: New manhunt for suspected driver
- Sir Bruce Forsyth: TV legend dies aged 89
- Steve Bannon fired as Trump White House's top strategist
- Woman raped by Roman Polanski asks for 'mercy' to end case
- Charlottesville victim's mum rebukes Trump
- Lele Tao: The 'online goddess' who earns $450k a year
- Trump’s streamlining order: You’ve seen its kind before
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Aug. 18, 2017
- Fairbanks protesters organize against the state wolf control program
- Alaska Airlines pilots plan picket over lack of compensation
- How oyster milkshakes and teamwork are getting Alaska’s shellfish safely to market
- 49 Voices: William “Pops” Wilson of Wasilla
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages