Composting in Kodiak could take a huge step toward fruition tonight, if a land transfer garners enough support. The Kodiak Island Borough Assembly will hold a regular meeting tonight and discuss, among other things, whether or not the borough should transfer a portion of land south of the landfill to the city.
The city hopes to build a better quality Class A composting facility on those 2.36 acres of borough land. Lesser quality Class B compost is already being made at the landfill. The compost would be made using biosolids, which have gone through the wastewater treatment plant and are very different from raw sewage.
The city made a case to the assembly last week during its work session and most assembly members seemed to support the land transfer. Tonight they’ll make a formal decision on the matter.
The assembly will also welcome its newest member, Frank Peterson, and say good bye to Louise Stutes. Frank Peterson was elected earlier this month, alongside incumbent Carol Austerman. Stutes did not run for relection. Peterson and Austerman will be sworn into office, along with the borough’s new mayor, Jerrol Friend. Tonight will be current Mayor Jerome Selby’s last borough assembly meeting, after 25 years in the position.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- As Rain Keeps Falling, Sierra Leone Scrambles To Find Mudslide Survivors
- Bannon, Unplugged: White House Strategist Pushes Trade Agenda, Undercuts Colleagues
- Van Strikes Crowd In Barcelona; Multiple Injured, At Least One Dead, Police Say
- Found: 1-Carrot Diamond Ring
- As Tunisia Weighs Women's Rights Proposal, Some Of The Staunchest Opponents Are Women
- Mat-Su Assembly puts off plastic bag tax vote
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017
- Haines Assembly members survive divisive recall election
- Imprisoned former militia leader Schaeffer Cox has appeal hearing
- Clark’s Point drawing families back to the village by reopening its school
- Dimond High Presidential Scholar travels to D.C. to receive award
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages