This weekend people will have a chance to say thank you to Coast Guard personnel in person during the annual We Applaud You appreciation dinner. The event is hosted by the Chamber of Commerce and Community Relations Director Summer Wood said this will be its 24th year.
“And this event provides the community an opportunity to recognize the Coast Guard personnel for their hard work and dedication in making Kodiak a safe place to live, work and raise their family.” Wood said it’s a buffet style dinner, featuring generously donated foods from Kodiak’s local restaurants.
“You know we have dinner and then we have a ceremony and we have testimony from some of the survivors that the Coast Guard has rescued and the mayors, Mayor Branson and Mayor Selby will also get up and speak, as long as the captains, Captain Rivera. So they both will get up and talk and then once the Coast Guard has been recognized, when it’s over, this year Feels Like Jupiter will be playing afterwards. So this is something new, this is the first year we’re doing it, we wanted to make it a really fun event.”
The event, which starts at 6 p.m. on Saturday at the Kodiak Harbor Convention Center, will also feature a raffle for Coast Guard members. Wood said they are still accepting donations for those raffle prizes.
Tickets cost $50 and are available at the Chamber of Commerce. Wood said they do have a limited amount so folks should call the Chamber and reserve them as soon as possible.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Facebook: Firm Working With Trump Campaign Stole 50 Million Users' Data
- In A Flurry Of Furious Tweets, President Trump Takes Aim At Mueller Probe
- Man Arrested for Bomb Threat at SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas
- Britain Accuses Russia Of Stockpiling Deadly Nerve Agent
- Trump Continues Barrage Against Special Counsel Mueller, Fired FBI Deputy McCabe
- Oil revenue is up in state’s spring forecast
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, March 16, 2017
- Preventing suicide with strength and resilience
- First Alaskans Institute helps revive Yup’ik traditional Qasgiq teachings at Cama-i
- Meet Lily and Gizelle
- Zulkosky organizes meeting to discuss alcohol’s impact on villages
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages