This weekend people will have a chance to say thank you to Coast Guard personnel in person during the annual We Applaud You appreciation dinner. The event is hosted by the Chamber of Commerce and Community Relations Director Summer Wood said this will be its 24th year.
“And this event provides the community an opportunity to recognize the Coast Guard personnel for their hard work and dedication in making Kodiak a safe place to live, work and raise their family.” Wood said it’s a buffet style dinner, featuring generously donated foods from Kodiak’s local restaurants.
“You know we have dinner and then we have a ceremony and we have testimony from some of the survivors that the Coast Guard has rescued and the mayors, Mayor Branson and Mayor Selby will also get up and speak, as long as the captains, Captain Rivera. So they both will get up and talk and then once the Coast Guard has been recognized, when it’s over, this year Feels Like Jupiter will be playing afterwards. So this is something new, this is the first year we’re doing it, we wanted to make it a really fun event.”
The event, which starts at 6 p.m. on Saturday at the Kodiak Harbor Convention Center, will also feature a raffle for Coast Guard members. Wood said they are still accepting donations for those raffle prizes.
Tickets cost $50 and are available at the Chamber of Commerce. Wood said they do have a limited amount so folks should call the Chamber and reserve them as soon as possible.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Opioid Treatment Funds In Senate Bill Would Fall Far Short Of Needs
- The Poet Bao Phi, On Creating a 'Guidebook' For Young Asian-Americans
- 'Khichuri': An Ancient Indian Comfort Dish With A Global Influence
- O.J. Simpson Parole Hearing Could Lead To His Prison Release
- Betsy DeVos' Latest Speech Draws Protests, Even Before She Speaks
- Video: Oil clues hidden in stone
- Audiogram: Alaska’s great recession
- Fishermen on Yukon lose economic opportunity when buyer becomes overloaded, cancels opening
- Alaska’s U.S. senators diverge on repeal, replace
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, July 19, 2017
- Stephen Wallace appointed as Bethel District Attorney
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages