Throwing out patrons who overstay their welcome is a common late night practice in some Alaska bars. But one guest Monday night in Juneau’s Alaskan Hotel & Bar was especially unwelcome.
A 12-second clip of grainy black and white security camera footage is making its rounds on social media.
The clip shows a black bear’s brief visit Monday night to the lobby of the Alaskan Bar. C. Scott Fry, the hotel and bar manager, was next door in the hotel lobby. He watched the black bear pass his door on the sidewalk.
“And as soon as he got to the bar door, it made a left and walked in like he wanted to have a beer,” Fry said.
Ariel Svetlik-McCarthy was tending bar last night. She says it was quiet up to that point. She realized the bear was inside …
“…And then, freaked out. And went, ‘No bear! Get out! No! You can’t be in here!’”
Within seconds, the black bear obliged. It looked underage, too, she quips.
Area management biologist Ryan Scott with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game recalls bears visiting Bartlett Regional Hospital and private homes. But, he says bears going inside buildings is rare.
As far as this incident, “Sounds to me like they did great,” he said, “And it’s good news the bear did oblige.”
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Two-year Brexit transition deal 'discussed at marathon Cabinet'
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages