Throwing out patrons who overstay their welcome is a common late night practice in some Alaska bars. But one guest Monday night in Juneau’s Alaskan Hotel & Bar was especially unwelcome.
A 12-second clip of grainy black and white security camera footage is making its rounds on social media.
The clip shows a black bear’s brief visit Monday night to the lobby of the Alaskan Bar. C. Scott Fry, the hotel and bar manager, was next door in the hotel lobby. He watched the black bear pass his door on the sidewalk.
“And as soon as he got to the bar door, it made a left and walked in like he wanted to have a beer,” Fry said.
Ariel Svetlik-McCarthy was tending bar last night. She says it was quiet up to that point. She realized the bear was inside …
“…And then, freaked out. And went, ‘No bear! Get out! No! You can’t be in here!’”
Within seconds, the black bear obliged. It looked underage, too, she quips.
Area management biologist Ryan Scott with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game recalls bears visiting Bartlett Regional Hospital and private homes. But, he says bears going inside buildings is rare.
As far as this incident, “Sounds to me like they did great,” he said, “And it’s good news the bear did oblige.”
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Trump Administration Releases Classified Warrants For FBI Wiretap Of Carter Page
- 4 Years After MH17 Downing, Advocates Urge Continued Attention To AIDS Crisis
- Mastermind Behind Malta Journalist Killing Remains A Mystery
- Rome's Subway Expansion Reveals Artifacts From The Ancient Past
- The Taliban Couldn't Quash This Pakistani Squash Champ
- Court filing aims to prevent lawsuits by Alaska victims in Las Vegas shooting
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, July 20, 2018
- Murkowski calls on Trump to end ‘sad chapter’ of splitting families at border
- In apparent suicide, man dies after jumping from eighth floor of UAF building
- UA’s College of Education
- 49 Voices: Benito Achas of Kodiak
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages