The Coast Guard high-endurance cutter Munro returned to its Kodiak homeport over the weekend, wrapping up 80-plus days of patrol in the North Pacific Ocean.
While at sea the Munro worked with the Chinese Fisheries Law Enforcement Command, the Japanese Coast Guard and the Russian Federal Security Service on joint patrols and even engaged in cultural exchanges between the ships.
Lt. Greg Isbell, the operations officer aboard Munro said that interaction with the Japanese, Russians and Chinese was a welcome addition to crew’s day to day routines.
The mission included interdiction of illegal, unregulated and unreported fishing. Over 600 vessels were observed during the patrol, as were several inspection boardings of foreign fishing vessels.
The 378-foot Munro is the only high endurance cutter stationed in Alaska. The ship has a crew of more than 150 people.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Scientists Peek Inside The 'Black Box' Of Soil Microbes To Learn Their Secrets
- Cryptocurrency Investors Worry, Wait After Bitcoin Price Drop
- 'This Is Depraved Conduct': Couple Charged With Torture After Kids Found Shackled
- More States Turning To Toll Roads To Raise Cash For Infrastructure
- Roger Severino Discusses The HHS Division Of Conscience And Religious Freedom
- Calais migrants: UK and France sign new treaty
- Turpin case: California couple deny torturing 'shackled siblings'
- UK 'in grip of worst flu season since 2011'
- Cheers for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at Cardiff Castle
- Amelia Blake: Family 'shocked' by backpacker death in Sydney
- Pope Francis marries couple on Chile flight
- Mat-Su Borough Assembly rejects agreement with state on air quality
- Among 100-plus proposals, Sitka’s sac roe herring fishery a top issue
- Top Republican, Democrat in Alaska Senate differ on income tax
- State-ordered investigation following BP leak finds no additional problem wells
- Calls for service plummet amid new strategy at Anchorage shelter
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages