The pink salmon harvest took a big jump on Friday, with the local fleet delivering 1,737,994 salmon, which was about a million more fish than the day before.
Alaska Department of Fish and Game figures show the hot streak continued over the weekend, with another million pinks netted Saturday, and 1.2-million more on Sunday.
That brings the cumulative humpy harvest this season in the Kodiak Management Area to 13.8-million fish on a forecast of 17-million. Pink returns elsewhere in the state are also above expectations, with 128-million humpies already harvested, versus a preseason forecast of 119-million.
Alaska salmon packers are benefiting from a shortage of pink salmon from the Russian Far East this summer, where catches have been far below projections. Seafood.com reports prices for pink salmon roe are up to $11 per pound. With competition between Russian and Japanese buyers, pink roe is going from anywhere between $25 and $29 per kilogram at auction.
Kodiak sockeye harvests have been hovering around the 20,000 to 30,000 mark per day, with a total catch so far of 2,168,006.
There have been 675,000 chum, 61,000 silvers, and 33,500 king salmon harvested through Sunday.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Mexico City Earthquake Update: Desperate Attempts To Reach Girl Trapped By Rubble
- Trump Administration Plans New Sanctions On North Korea
- Top Stories: Tracking Hurricane Maria; The Reach Of Credit Bureaus
- Shellfish Surprise: Common 'Herbivore' Dinosaur Found To Snack On Crustaceans
- Hurricane Maria Leaves Puerto Rico Without Electricity, Hits Dominican Republic
- Brexit: Theresa May 'to offer 20bn euros transitional deal'
- Ryanair plans to make pilots change holidays
- Mexico earthquake: Race to save children under collapsed school
- Ian Brady: Moors Murderer 'would remove feeding tube'
- Hell in a bottle: I survived an acid attack
- Murdered Briton Emma Kelty 'shot and thrown in Amazon'
- Amid evolving Afghan mission, Alaska soldiers ready to deploy
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, Sep. 20, 2017
- ‘Vote no’: Left takes to TV and sky to reach Murkowski
- Traveling Music 9-24-17
- Interior official says Trump administration has the ‘guts’ to allow oil exploration in ANWR
- Ask a Climatologist: The fall color formula is pretty simple
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages