The 2013 Alaska high school basketball coach of the year has found a new job. Stephanie Smiley, who spent two years at the helm of the Kodiak Lady Bears, was announced Wednesday as the director of operations for the Western Michigan University Broncos women’s basketball team.
Her new boss, head basketball coach Shane Clipfell, was an assistant coach for the Eastern Michigan Eagles when Smiley was a standout All-American point guard from 1999 to 2002.
Her responsibilities at Western Michigan will include film exchange, travel coordination and assisting with community involvement.
For the past two seasons Smiley was the Kodiak High School varsity girl’s head basketball coach, leading the team to a 22-and-8 record this past season and fourth place at state – their best showing in years. Along the way she was named the 4-A Alaska State Coach of the Year. She submitted her resignation as Kodiak coach and high school counselor on July 1st.
WMU Coach Clipfell said Smiley was an overachiever as a student, collegiate player and as a high school coach, and that the Broncos are very lucky to have her join the staff.
While a player at Eastern Michigan, Smiley was the first player in the Mid-America Conference, male or female, to rack up 1,400 points, 700 rebounds and 500 assists in a career.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Japanese Elections Strengthen Abe, Reward His Gamble
- Mainland Colleges Offer In-State Tuition To Students Affected By Hurricane Maria
- Blending Techno And Tradition: You Should Be Dancing ... With Sake
- Democrats Eye A Rare Opportunity In Alabama Senate Race
- The Russia Investigations: Interference Impacted Real Life; Senators Propose New Law
- Nuneaton: Police end leisure park siege, boss says
- Nuneaton: 'The guy ran up to the door with a gun' - witness
- Borrow more to boost building, says Sajid Javid
- WHO cancels Robert Mugabe goodwill ambassador role
- Spain Catalonia: Foreign minister denies 'coup' by Madrid
- Lewis Hamilton on verge of Formula 1 title with United States GP win
- Night Music: October 21, 2017
- Investigation shows BP Alaska reckoning with multiple accidents and leaks
- Alaska News Nightly: Friday, Oct. 20, 2017
- State Attorney General says all 229 Alaska tribes are sovereign
- State appeals controversial ballot initiative decision to Supreme Court
- AK: Volunteers work to rebuild damaged landscapes on Flattop Mountain
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages