The 2013 Alaska high school basketball coach of the year has found a new job. Stephanie Smiley, who spent two years at the helm of the Kodiak Lady Bears, was announced Wednesday as the director of operations for the Western Michigan University Broncos women’s basketball team.
Her new boss, head basketball coach Shane Clipfell, was an assistant coach for the Eastern Michigan Eagles when Smiley was a standout All-American point guard from 1999 to 2002.
Her responsibilities at Western Michigan will include film exchange, travel coordination and assisting with community involvement.
For the past two seasons Smiley was the Kodiak High School varsity girl’s head basketball coach, leading the team to a 22-and-8 record this past season and fourth place at state – their best showing in years. Along the way she was named the 4-A Alaska State Coach of the Year. She submitted her resignation as Kodiak coach and high school counselor on July 1st.
WMU Coach Clipfell said Smiley was an overachiever as a student, collegiate player and as a high school coach, and that the Broncos are very lucky to have her join the staff.
While a player at Eastern Michigan, Smiley was the first player in the Mid-America Conference, male or female, to rack up 1,400 points, 700 rebounds and 500 assists in a career.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Those Affected By Trump's Travel Ban Hope For End To 'Chaos' After Supreme Court Case
- U.K. Officials Apologize After Lives Of Caribbean Immigrants Thrown Into Disarray
- Space-Hopping 'Avengers: Infinity War' Raises The Stakes To Infinity — And Beyond
- Suspect Is At Large After Shooting 3, Including 2 Police Officers, In Dallas
- In Closing, Cosby's Lawyers Call His Accuser A 'Pathological Liar'
- Corbyn anti-Semitism meeting 'disappointing', Jewish leaders say
- Alfie Evans parents to appeal against Italy travel ban ruling
- Trump and Macron hint at new Iran nuclear deal
- Man critical after Anfield attack before Liverpool-Roma clash
- Kim Wall death - what we know so far
- WhatsApp to raise minimum age limit to 16 in EU
- Offshore lease schedule for Beaufort draws flak
- Alaska News Nightly: Tuesday, April 24, 2018
- As Mat-Su mulls budget, school funding off the table
- Strong winds batter Anchorage
- Marijuana-regulating ordinance advocates flood Fairbanks city council hearing to urge passage
- Virgin America merger with Alaska Air reaches logistical crescendo this week
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages