The 2013 Alaska high school basketball coach of the year has found a new job. Stephanie Smiley, who spent two years at the helm of the Kodiak Lady Bears, was announced Wednesday as the director of operations for the Western Michigan University Broncos women’s basketball team.
Her new boss, head basketball coach Shane Clipfell, was an assistant coach for the Eastern Michigan Eagles when Smiley was a standout All-American point guard from 1999 to 2002.
Her responsibilities at Western Michigan will include film exchange, travel coordination and assisting with community involvement.
For the past two seasons Smiley was the Kodiak High School varsity girl’s head basketball coach, leading the team to a 22-and-8 record this past season and fourth place at state – their best showing in years. Along the way she was named the 4-A Alaska State Coach of the Year. She submitted her resignation as Kodiak coach and high school counselor on July 1st.
WMU Coach Clipfell said Smiley was an overachiever as a student, collegiate player and as a high school coach, and that the Broncos are very lucky to have her join the staff.
While a player at Eastern Michigan, Smiley was the first player in the Mid-America Conference, male or female, to rack up 1,400 points, 700 rebounds and 500 assists in a career.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Brexit: May unveils 'fair and serious' offer on EU citizens
- Grenfell Tower: Eleven high rises 'fail fire-risk tests'
- Hinkley Point deal 'risky and expensive'
- Canadian sniper 'kills IS militant two miles away'
- Otto Warmbier: Funeral held for student jailed in N Korea
- Philando Castile: Girl, 4, calms mother in police car
- ‘Sense of relief’ as cuts to UA system are less than expected
- Murkowski’s take on health bill? Stay tuned.
- Man charged in 2015 Wasilla double murder
- Walker signs bill granting health insurance to dependents of fallen police, firefighters
- “Doesn’t he know it’s frozen?” How Alaska almost overlooked Prudhoe Bay
- Juneau tops national list of smallest cities with most millionaire households
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages