An investigation is underway into the cause of a collision between an Alaska Marine Lines barge and the Coast Guard Cutter Sycamore in Cordova. The tug Krystal Sea was maneuvering the Cordova Provider Sunday morning, when it struck the Sycamore at its mooring.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Grant DeVuyst said both vessels suffered damage from the incident.
“There is some damage to the Sycamore and cosmetic damage to the barge,” he said. “The cause of the incident is under investigation by Marine Safety Valdez personnel.”
The Krystal Sea and the Cordova Provider are homeported in Cordova. The tug and barge were returning from Whittier at the time of the incident. There were no injuries or pollution reported. The 225-foot Sycamore is an ocean-going buoy tender.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Keystone XL Pipeline Gets Regulators' OK In Nebraska, Clearing Key Hurdle
- Trump To Designate North Korea As A State Sponsor Of Terrorism
- Spit Test May Help Reveal Concussion Severity
- WATCH: On Georgia Dome's Final Day, Atlanta Bids Farewell With A Bam
- Top Stories: Charles Manson Dies; Kenya's Supreme Court Upholds Election
- Zimbabwe latest: Mugabe 'let wife Grace usurp power'
- Merkel 'prefers new vote' after German coalition talks fail
- Brexit: Electoral Commission reopens probe into Vote Leave
- Jana Novotna: Former Wimbledon champion dies at age of 49
- Why do so many US women die giving birth?
- Florida plane highway crash caught on dashcams
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages