An investigation is underway into the cause of a collision between an Alaska Marine Lines barge and the Coast Guard Cutter Sycamore in Cordova. The tug Krystal Sea was maneuvering the Cordova Provider Sunday morning, when it struck the Sycamore at its mooring.
Coast Guard Petty Officer Grant DeVuyst said both vessels suffered damage from the incident.
“There is some damage to the Sycamore and cosmetic damage to the barge,” he said. “The cause of the incident is under investigation by Marine Safety Valdez personnel.”
The Krystal Sea and the Cordova Provider are homeported in Cordova. The tug and barge were returning from Whittier at the time of the incident. There were no injuries or pollution reported. The 225-foot Sycamore is an ocean-going buoy tender.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Rohingya Crisis Is Making Some In Myanmar Rethink Their Views Of Aung San Suu Kyi
- Researchers Find Herpes Viruses In Brains Marked By Alzheimer's Disease
- Some DNA Dismissed As 'Junk' Is Crucial To Embryo Development
- With Billions At Stake, Supreme Court Rules States May Tax Online Retailers
- Sara Netanyahu, Israeli Prime Minister's Wife, Is Charged With Fraud
- Brexit: Three 'simple' questions for EU citizens to stay in UK
- Confusion reigns over fate of detained migrant children
- Sophie Gradon, former Love Island contestant, dies
- Addenbrooke's 'silly' cancer nurse Debbie Bye found after appeal
- Naz Shah's wheelchair vote prompts calls for Commons reform
- Mum's airing cupboard death 'devastated family'
- Alaska News Nightly: Wednesday, June 20, 2018
- Alaska delegation mulls Trump order keeping children detained with parents
- Amid criticism of homeless camps, Anchorage officials weigh aggressive policy change
- Guiding peers on the path to recovery from addiction
- State: Permafrost melt from Arctic broadband projects violated permits
- Two coal-seam fires merge to form rapidly-growing wildfire near Healy
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages