A 14-year-old Kodiak boy drowned in Lake Gertrude at Fort Abercrombie last (Tuesday) night. The Alaska State Troopers report Rex Matautia was swimming with friends around 8 p.m. when he began struggling and slipping underwater. The other boys attempted to save him, but couldn’t hang on.
A bystander who heard the other two boys calling for help dialed 911 and Troopers, Bayside Volunteer and Kodiak Fire department personnel responded. A rescue team member spotted Matautia’s body about 75 feet from shore in 12-feet of water.
Troopers say Matautia had been underwater for about 25 minutes when a diver recovered him. Upon reaching the shore CPR was started and continued as Matautia was brought to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center. There, emergency room staff attempted to resuscitate him for an hour and a half before he was pronounced dead.
The Troopers report Matautia and the other boys, ages 13 and 14, had been swimming in Lake Gertrude for about two hours and had pushed a log to the middle of the lake before tiring and heading back to shore.
The State Medical Examiner has requested an autopsy be done.
Support Kodiak Public Radio
- Government Shuts Down As Congress Fails To Pass Funding Measure
- Senate Set To Vote On Government Funding Bill Before Midnight
- L.A. Coroner: Tom Petty's Death Was Due To An Accidental Overdose
- Federal Charge Brought In Assault On Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul
- Justice Department To Retry Sen. Robert Menendez And Friend In Corruption Case
- US shutdown begins as Senate fails to pass new budget
- Macron says 'special' UK deal possible
- US musician Tom Petty died of 'accidental drug overdose'
- British tourists warned to 'stay in resorts' in Jamaica security emergency
- Will Gompertz reviews Sky Atlantic's drama Britannia ★★★☆☆
- Persian shallot 'could help fight TB antibiotic resistance'
- What’s open, what’s closed if the government shuts down
- Governor follows up on State of the State speech
- AK: What’s it like to drive a 54,000 pound DOT plow truck?
- Ready to mush: Kusko 300 ready to kick off
- Interior aims to sign King Cove road deal Monday, official confirms
- Diverse backgrounds among three on list for vacant state Senate seat
KMXT1-907-486-31818 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Top Posts & Pages